Vintage Pottery/Ceramic expert needed! "GEM" Platter found at thrift store

Girlefty

Dec 22, 2007
Vintage Pottery/Ceramic expert needed! "GEM" Platter found at thrift store

Anyone every hear of Gem pottery/ceramics? I just found a beautiful, gold tipped/veined ivory colored platter at a thrift store for $1.50. There is an embedded pottery mark that says "Gem" and "Irene Smith 1955" on the back. Sound familiar to any experts out there?

Merry Christmas and thanks in advance for any input, I'm new here.

Lefty...( :

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Vintage Pottery/Ceramic expert needed! "GEM" Platter found at thrift store

pictures help a lot

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm no expert but i'd love to see a photo of this platter and the mark. It sounds like English staffordshire. I'm wondering if this is the same Irene Smith that is married to Norman. It doesn't sound like anything that Norman Smith would have put out,ie-jugs and such. He was still making pottery into the 1970's, maybe they got divorced years before and she went into a different field or style of pottery? Or maybe it was something she did on the side while married to Norman. We need a photo.

OP
OP
G

Girlefty

Dec 22, 2007

Wow!...Thanks for all the responses. I don't have a digital cam, or I'd have put a picture of the platter up, sorry. Maybe I can borrow one, etc. This is becoming quite the "mystery".

The platter is quite "fancy" and looks nothing like the stuff Norman does. (thanks for the pg. 117...I read all of it).

I called a lady I know at a local antique store and she looked all through her pottery mark books and found nothing on "Gem" or Irene Smith. The mystery continues.....I'm going to bring it by to actually show her. I'll report back!

Thanks again,

Lefty

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Yes! Keep us posted...

I did find some stuff on line about GEM ceramics or what have you... but it's all current and nonproductive information... foreign, Asian... etc...

I hope you figure it out!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try a book store such as Barnes & Noble. Look through the books on Pottery. That way you only need to buy the book if you find it, or buy it for future reference.

I don't know where you are, but The Brass Armadillo in Phoenix Az has a huge selection of books to use/buy not to mention you can get a cup of coffee and a danish while you read. Hope that helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions