Taking my detector to Mexico...Or not...Anybody know the legalities?

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey Barguy!

I don't KNOW,

but read a post in the last few days where a person said yes, it was ok.
and he was observed by federales while detecting at a beach resort.

I don't know if it would be acceptable any other place, or even time!

The post was here or on findmall.

Ha! haven't yet put batteries in my RB-3...

Best of the New Year to you!

R M P T R

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason you could not conduct a search is because you must be a Charter Member to use this feature.

I would check with the US Consulate.

OP
OP
BARGuy

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Yeah, I read about the Charter Membership deal...No problem except it's PayPal only, & I don't have PayPal. I e-mailed & asked about cash, M/O, etc. but no response.

I don't mind paying but I CAN'T! :'(

Cheers, DR

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Pretty sad that you have to donate money to be able to do a site search...

We've discussed this topic (transporting MD's on flights) on another MD site where I am an admin (no money required to search there... )metaldetectingforum.com

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Regarding Don Jose & Sandman's answer, to "ask a consulate", does anyone here remember this incident?

Back in the early 1980s, Fisher had a publication that went our quarterly I think. In it, they used to have a question and answer column. Someone had written in to the editor, asking "Is metal detecting allowed in Mexico?" Fisher answered by saying "No. When traveling to Mexico, leave the detectors at home"

In the next issue of the periodical, several readers had written into the Q&A column taking issue with the editor's answer to the inquirer in the previous issue. They asked things like "Since when?" "Where did you get that information?" and "We've been going there for years and never had a problem. Detectors are a common sight on the tourist beaches!" Fisher answered the objectors by revealing where they had gotten the answer they published: THEY ASKED! Yup, they went to some Mexican bureaucrat, consolate, or something, and asked if metal detecting was allowed in Mexico. They told the readers "we were merely passing on what we were told". All I can assume is that, whomever they asked, must've been thinking in terms of historic monuments, exporting treasures, shipwreck salvor type laws, the pyramaids, blah blah. I mean, if you asked enough USA lawmakers/bureaucrats if detecting is allowed in the USA, some of them may also say "no", because they too are couching it in terms of federal parks, or ARPA indian stuff, etc.... Yet we all know we can detect here.

There are detector dealers in all the major cities in Mexico, INCLUDING Fisher dealers! Doh! Fisher knows they had dealers down there, yet gave that answer? What did they think was happening to the machines they sell down there :)

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I'm planning to take my detector to Mexico in a few weeks....

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al
there has never been a problem [for me] , detecting in Mexico...apart from the regular pests, and beggars.

As for detectors and flying....I used to fly to Europe twice a year to dig the Roman stuff. Never had a problem, before or after 9/11....except once with my detector in a guitar case. That particular airline did not permit guitars in the cabin. After showing what I was carrying, and why it MUST be in the cabin, the issue was resolved.

If you are compelled to 'check in' your detector, I can almost guarantee it will arrive inoperable. NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING is given 'special' handling in cargo. My kids are long time airline employees....one works in cargo.

OP
OP
BARGuy

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Some good answers, & I must say, not too far from what I expected. I'm happy to know there's no Mexican Federal law published regarding detectors.

I think more than concern myself with the local law enforcement, I'll talk with the beachfront hotel management where we intend to stay...BEFORE we go...& get name/title of the grantor.

Thanx to all responders,
DR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread