Can electrolysis produce chlorine gas?

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Not without using chlorine.

Are you using chlorine in the electrolysis?

And of so, why?

OP
OP
I

Iunno

Dec 26, 2007
EasyMoney said:
Not without using chlorine.

Are you using chlorine in the electrolysis?

And of so, why?
No im not. The instructions i read on how to do electrolysis said to add salt to the solution. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it but it's what we were arguing about it. He though that since your running a current through the solution, it would break the salt apart. Producing chlorine and sodium. (naci) I, being the argumentative type, immedietly disagreed.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually i believe it does..ive read somewhere that you shouldbe careful when doing eletrolysis because it produces some kind os gas that could hurt you....
I will have to see if i can find that article...

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Chlorine and other gasses can be produced by electrolysis.

a saturated salt (sodium chloride) solution with carbon rods as poles will release the chlorine in an almost uncontainable measure.
But why would anyone put a charge through a brine solution in the first place?
This is a grade school science project.
done in a lab under a hood where it can be done safely without harm to anyone.

explain please. ???

Thom
OD

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont know if it makes any difference but there probably is chlorine in the water to begin with. I use a small homemade rig to clean some coins and there is some "gas" floating up from the water. I worry more about the transformer getting hot and burning up..........and my wife slapping me in the head for ruining her spoons and forks! ;D

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only small amounts of chlorine gas is produced from the salt solution during our type of electrolysis.. What the major gases produced are hydrogen and oxygen.... Both flamable..
During electrolysis, hydrogen gas will be seen to bubble up at the cathode - pole( object to be cleaned), and oxygen will bubble at the anode + pole.

R

robert roy

Just use a small amount of salt and be liberal with the Leamon juice when you add it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And just to worry you even more if you use stainless steel as the positive electrode (anode) it will release small amounts of hexavalent chromium, which is nasty stuff if inhaled.

If you're using table salt or chlorinated tap water you will likely have chlorine gas given off.

Don't lean over the solution.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~pspencer/nsaeta/electrolysis.html

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Very good advice Charlie,

The amount of chlorine given off by the process is directly determined by the amount of salt in the water.

Salt --- Sodium Chloride
The process frees the chlorine from the sodium molecules and releases it into the air.

To cause harm you would have to have a large saturated solution in a tightly enclosed place.

A buddy of mine and I actually did this experiment in a lab in 7th grade using a large plastic tub and a saturated solution . they evacuated the school for several hours due to the amount of chlorine in the air. Nobody made any reference to being able to contain the gas.

using electrodes other than carbon rods will release a lot more than just chlorine.

Thom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
good standard rule of thumb -- both toxic and explosive type gases are made by electolysis ---so do it out of doors in a well vented area & keep any type of fire away -- or else you might not live long enough to regret it --knowledge get it the easy way --- Ivan

thepoolguy

Jan 17, 2008
of course it does...it is the preferred method of sanitation in pools these days. unit has titanium plates in it with an electric charge and as the salt that has been added to the pool passes by it is converted into a chlorine gas. google "salt chlorine generators"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread