Minerals on my property

Telewanger

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
Hi,

I own some property which has a creek on it in Gaston County NC. It is between Marion and Charlotte North Carolina. I have been trying to do some prospecting here, but I am not sure what to look for, as far as what minerals might be on the property.

Here is a link to some photos of some of the minerals.

http://www.atlanticplumbing.net/gastonproperty.html

Maybe you can tell me if you think that there might be some interesting minerals to look for here!

Thanks,

Mike Lynch

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
You could look up emeralds and auqamarines as well as some semi-precious minerals. Just a guess based upon the fact that beryls exist in NC.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Telewanger: could they not offer you good enough answers at Alaskan gold forum? :P
Welcome to T-NET.
Do you have a geology department or a geologist familiar with the area? ask them...
As a Swede I can't help you to much... ::)

Regards,
Eu

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Your area holds some possibilities. I have a garnet in the horneblende from an NC mining trip. Quartz is always a good sign. I got emeralds from Hiddenite and ruby from Sheffield in August. Here are a few links to what is in your area:

http://www.mindat.org/lsearch.php?loc=Gaston Co. North Carolina

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/state/2005/myb2-2005-nc.pdf

I would also try a book store for a guide to rocks and minerals. Look for one that can tell you what to look for, what other rocks are found in around certain minerals (clues) and pics of what a mineral looks like in the rough. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

OP
OP
T

Telewanger

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
Hey Guys,

The Alaska Gold Forum is fine, but they don't seem to know much about NC Minerals.

The "mineral hunting problem" is that I don't really know where to start digging. My family has around 75 acres of creek and farm land. I was looking at the schist veins. Do I dig into the schist veins, around them, or what rock signs should I look for when I start digging? This is virgin land, so it is hard to tell where to start.

I am going to buy a Keene 4", 3 stage sluice box sometime this year. I already have the engine, pump, and hoses. I will keep dredging the creek, but I would also like to look on the land. I went dredging during Christmas week. The water was freezing cold, but I did it anyway. I went through some of my concentrates today and found more fine gold, but no nuggets.

Thanks for the links and information!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have a river on your property right?
Does it run right trough most of the property is so it would carry material form most of the property. (at last in theory)
Maybe you could find someone who is more knowledgeable on a forum. 75 acres the a heck lot of land to run through. ::)
In the beginning you might not even have to dig, get a map of your property and walk around to see what rocks you might find on the ground. Then mark the map where you found interesting specimens if you can't ID ask on a forum. I think you get what I mean.
Look at all rocks even that quartz over there can help you. ;D
You can also get samples and pan the at home.(dirt samples)
UV-lights might be of help to find some minerals.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
THe other thing I would do is look for rock hound or gem and mineral clubs in your area. Invite someone out to poke around and give some tips. Most would jump at the chance for an untouched spot. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread