HAS ANYONE EVER FOUND HUMAN BONES

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Back in the early 80's, my dad was working for the "State Hospital" or the looney bin as we called it. We mostly called it that because they were crazy enough to let my dad work there. ;D
Anyway, they were digging ground for a foundation, and found many human remains. Turns out that it was graves that were dug during the small pox epidemics. So lots of Haz Mat and such. It took them a couple months to get it all cleaned up. I think that since they couldn't find any markers, or indicators of who they were, that they cremated the remains.

My uncle also found a shoe near our home that still had a foot in it! It made the papers, and the foot was never "claimed". The river that ran near our home claimed at least one life of a homeless person a year, so the police figured it was probably something like that. I will post a copy of the paper if I can get one sent to me from my folks back in the states.

vegasmtl

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
personally i have found 2 native-american burials. i with a single individual, the other was a multiple burial with 3 individuals. the first i turned over to the state archaeologist who did the excavation. the second i turned over to a local university and they did the excavation. iv`e been hunting artifacts all my life and knew what they were. if ever in doubt, contact the sheriff`s office. they in turn will contact the county coroner to make his assessment.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
What in the heck is this, a forum for grave robbers?

One thing is for sure, if the FBI or the CID or other government agencies read that someone found human bones with body parts attached to it there would be all kinds of cops and helicopters doing some serious police work there right NOW!

I only met one person in my life who tried hunting in a grave yard. He and I are no longer friend. That's all I need, someone who disrespects the dead that way. No thanks.

Oh, but BTW, is that what happened to the finger I lost while sharpening my lawn mower, and my arm bone too?

You guys and gals really made my day. All I need now is to find some doctor that will re-ttach them.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how you can come to a "grave robbing" conclusion.

In my case, someone lost 2 fingers, one with his wedding band on it, and I looked (and found) it - (along with his pinky). The ring finger was reattached, successfully - the pinky was not.

B

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Naaahhh..

I was just joking. Nobody here said they dug up a grave.

I wasn't joking though about my finger and my armbone though.

Ha ha ha ha...

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My MD partner and I met with a local historian last sunday. He told us a story about a local guy who found bones while relic hunting. He found enough stuff with the bones to ID the body - a Confederate captain from NC. All the parts were collected (in a shoe box) and returned to NC where he was officially interred. He didn't say but I got the impression that it happened 20 + years ago. More recently (10 years ago?), several CW graves were discovered when they were expanding the parking lot in Manassas.

DCMatt

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
an archaeologist friend of mine related a story to me about an anazazi site he was excavating in s.w. colorado. after several weeks of excavation,they found a skeleton which was clearly not of the same time period, wearing blue jeans with a bullet hole in the skull! the excavation then officially became a crime scene.

xtimgx

Mar 17, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Actually 2 days ago, I believe I found a spinal piece at the beach. Long Beach Island is infamous for fatal shipwrecks on shore and we just had a storm. It appears to have been degraded for a while. I have it still, haven't photo'd it though.
-Tim

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EasyMoney said:
What in the heck is this, a forum for grave robbers?

One thing is for sure, if the FBI or the CID or other government agencies read that someone found human bones with body parts attached to it there would be all kinds of cops and helicopters doing some serious police work there right NOW!

I only met one person in my life who tried hunting in a grave yard. He and I are no longer friend. That's all I need, someone who disrespects the dead that way. No thanks.

Oh, but BTW, is that what happened to the finger I lost while sharpening my lawn mower, and my arm bone too?

You guys and gals really made my day. All I need now is to find some doctor that will re-ttach them.
Does it say its a forum for grave robbers,
that is not what it was intended for.
give me a break...

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt said:
My MD partner and I met with a local historian last sunday. He told us a story about a local guy who found bones while relic hunting. He found enough stuff with the bones to ID the body - a Confederate captain from NC. All the parts were collected (in a shoe box) and returned to NC where he was officially interred. He didn't say but I got the impression that it happened 20 + years ago. More recently (10 years ago?), several CW graves were discovered when they were expanding the parking lot in Manassas.

DCMatt

YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY
where i live in canada, all the human remains found are handed over to the tribes for re burial, if they are old and race does not mater. :-\
FIND HUMAN REMAINS THAT ARE NOT NATIVE AND THE SENTANCE IS THE SAME REGUARDLES.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,107185.0.html
Its amasing how far some will go to hide the truth.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imafishingnutt said:
Does it say its a forum for grave robbers,
that is not what it was intended for.
give me a break...
hmmm said:
YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY
where i live in canada, all the human remains found are handed over to the tribes for re burial, if they are old and race does not mater. :-\
FIND HUMAN REMAINS THAT ARE NOT NATIVE AND THE SENTENCE IS THE SAME REGAURDLES.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,107185.0.html
Its amasing how far some will go to hide the truth.
yes hmm we enjoy your open ended never ending conundrum posting
*yawn*
rehash the same old DEAD thread postings
" is it moral to dig in grave yards "
rehash that 16 more times in the next 6 months, please
we dont know how to read or use the forum
please lets try to be original once in while
if your a CHARTER MEMBER
the search feature will bring these long lost forgotten threads that withered up and fizzled out
post in them from the dead

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
I found an odd bag of bones

I found a bag filled with bones about a year ago. However, I think they were animals. It was a strange collection. Check out the photo below. (FYI: I threw in some other oddities that I personally collected such shark teeth and rocks.) I must be nuts for keeping them this long.

Attachments

• bagOfBones.jpg
    bagOfBones.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 624

grumpy968

Greenie
Jan 18, 2008
Ohio
I took one of my sons fishing once, about 10 years ago, he was playing in the edge of the woods while I fished. He came up to me and said 'Daddy, I found you a watch, but it's stuck on a stick and I can't get it loose'. He showed me where 'the watch' was, and it was on a skeleton. I called the police but never heard anything else about it.

And no, I didn't get to keep the watch.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
20 or more years ago, my partner and I were panning the cracks in the Black Canyon near Delta Colorado and a hail storm forced us to seek some shelter on the cliff face.
We went along a small shelf and found a slab covering a small opening .
we moved the slab and crawled inside out of the weather.

Once our eyes adjusted to the lack of light we saw a suit of Spanish armor against the wall.
there were several scattered bones around and a helmet that had once been on the scull that was nearby.
the rest of the skeleton was inside the breast plate and leggings.

This guy was left to guard something.

We took the helmet to the State Archie who after hearing our story went off like someone lit a fire under him. He called us everything but white men and proceeded to let us know we were the equivalent of grave robbers,

We told the man that we felt it customary to bring proof of a find rather than a story,
we also felt that if this was his attitude we would gladly give up the location to him for a tidy sum.
Otherwise he could find it himself.

we were able to get 63 ounces out of the canyon that year and those guys tagged along all summer.
My partner died in 1987, and since then the Canyon has become a National Park.
And that Spaniard still guards that hole.

Thom

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80s we had a mortition that was selling coffins and holding services and the he would sell the same coffin again and again
he had been doing this for years.
how he got caught was he was letting some of the boddies sit in his garage and some passer by complained to the police of the smell.

when they searched the place they found 12 bodies in his garage
some had been there for over a year.

they went deeper into thier investigation and went to the grave yard to see if he had burried any bodies at all.
they tested graves by ramming 1 inch rebar down in a grave 7 to 8 ft with a back ho and then pulling it back out
and smelling it....yuck
they then dug a dozen or so graves and some of the graves had 3 bodies in one hole
one of them being a very dear friend of ours.
they found her with two males.
the guy lost his licence and that was it.
He had to move out of town because people were wanting to kill him.
last I heard he opened a reseraunt in the valley......

ima

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I have seen picts posted here of a skull recovered somewhere in the Ukraine or Germany from a WWII battlefield grave.

I don't think it would be offensive, but there are those who would say you are desecrating the remains, etc. In my opinion, if you find something like that, it needs to be turned over to the proper auth. and not put on display in someones house! As long as you repsect what you find and have done what is right, posting pictures should not be a problem!

But we do have to be somewhat politically correct!

jetshark

Greenie
Feb 15, 2008
Ohio/Florida
Detector(s) used
Various (mostly whites)
This may be a little off the path of what you are asking, and it is more of a marine based situation. If I am not mistaken in the Fisher Museum in Florida there a human bones. There are only a few there. I believe they were found on the Atocha wreck site. I would have to verify this to be 100% sure. I had just been asking someone in our group a few weeks ago if this was unusual. I was told it is very unusual. As a matter of fact they felt the bones did not come from someone who had died on the ship. Because that wreck is over 300 years old and there was no way they would have lasted in the salt water. As a matter of fact they don't last long at all in salt water.

The observation made by the person I was speaking to was that they felt the bones may have been on the ship and had been preserved in some manner. In other words they were being shipped in a preserved state of some kind when the wreck sank. The person had already died , and their remians were being shipped to someone or some where.

I know this is probably not exactly what you were looking for, but it will give you some diffrent insight on your question. If you want to know more, I can certainly get you more details on this instance, and get you a more accurate answer.

Thanks,

Jetshark

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
if it's not a fresh corpse leverite there.chips that fell where they did.beaurocratic hassel for reporting is not worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread