HAS ANYONE EVER FOUND HUMAN BONES

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Yes I have (attached to a ring), and it was not in a cemetery where I would NEVER dig, but in a backyard of an old abandoned house. But I wouldn't think of taking pictures, or doing anything except calling the police (which is what I did). I hope no one else would actually post something like that here.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epi-hunter said:
Yes I have (attached to a ring), and it was not in a cemetery where I would NEVER dig, but in a backyard of an old abandoned house. But I wouldn't think of taking pictures, or doing anything except calling the police (which is what I did). I hope no one else would actually post something like that here.

what happened?

HH
-GC

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Because it was relatively shallow they had to determine if it was a very old burial, or a relatively new one which could indicate some kind of a homicide. It wasn't the whole body; just some finger bones.

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epi-hunter said:
Because it was relatively shallow they had to determine if it was a very old burial, or a relatively new one which could indicate some kind of a homicide. It wasn't the whole body; just some finger bones.
Did you get to keep the Ring.
maby some one got hurt and they didnt find the fingers at one time..
or
maby it was his midle finger and he flipped the wrong guy off....lol
Ima

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know for sure but i think its a no no to post human remains on Tnet. I have only seen 1 post like that here....aa

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one time i was out clamming and found a human arm bone
it looked realy old and since there were indians known in this part i threw it back where i found it in the bay.
i figured it was his or her final resting place.
at first i was gonna take it and report it but then decided that if it were indian then it might cause a problem clamming in the bay or even fishing so thats why i decided to return it to its resting place.
the indians here have a bad habbit of saying any human remains found here is thiers.
maby it is maby it aint.
we will never know THE REST OF THE STORY.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i recall someone finding an eagle buckle with the rest of its previous owner...not sure if hes a member here

HH
-GC

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A few friends and I "discovered" an old graveyard. We knew what we were looking for and called the police and newspapers in (we're both hobbling on bad knees). After the first visit in, we "hired" out a few family members to help us sort and move. After it was mowed, sprayed, etc., I did one last look and stepped over several bones that I didn't recognized. Of course, in this stage of the woods, everything looks the same. Picked up some of the bones, then let them go. I couldn't imagine we'd found anything special. Bottom line: They (police) never came back to us with results.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
All of the time. I guess they buried folks all over the place around here.
We find them on some of the outskirts of the battlesites in the area as well as lots of other places. Not too long ago we were putting up a fence for a guy and found several whole bones from ribs to femers. Work was stopped while it was investigated. It was determined to be a grave site from the early 1800's.
There is an Indian War site up near my grandpa's old home place. The ground there is littered with bones and bone fragments. A college sent out a team to investigate it after the owners found human skulls with holes in them. Not too long after that there was another site a 1/2 mile away were they found headless skeletons. I have been up to both sites and found bones fragments everywhere.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can count maybe 4 or 5

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
I dont know for sure but i think its a no no to post human remains on Tnet. I have only seen 1 post like that here....aa

Although the site of Human Remains wouldn't offend me,
We have Many Members and it would Definately offend some.
and all it would take is one Complaint to have such a pic removed
because of that.

They are allowed if in a Historical Context, as per the Russian Battlefield
Digs. But not for Shock Value.

Teeth unless attached to a jaw bone. Or medical Specimens would be different because there not necessarily considered remains of a possable loved one in my opinion.
and in the case of Medical Specimans they were meant for the purpose of
Study in the first place. and False teeth are not Human in any form.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother found a human bone with the flesh still onit ! Good thing as it was his ! They sewed it back on but it dident take so it had to be chopped back off ! ;D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff for clearing that up....aa

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
I've never found any bones yet, but it would not be a shock to me if I did. I imagine there are small family graveyards on old homesteads that are long forgotton and overgrown, Indian burials, etc.

A local history buff told me back in the days when yellow fever epidemics occured in this part of the country, bodies were hastly buried in makeshift cemeteries in an effort to help stop spread the diesease. Apparantly a lot of these have been forgotton about and were not marked, etc. I don't know if it is true or not but it does make sense.

rustyrelic

Greenie
Jan 7, 2008
I found a skeleton ounce and was questioned by shariffs dept detectives. I had to call into work the next day and say I couldnt come in because I was being questioned about a dead person I found! Two sets of detectives over a few hours kept asking me if I had ever been to that "spot" of the roadside before. After awhile I was thinking, well maybe I have been here before, I was doubting myself. This was before the internet so I couldnt just reference the beercan hunters website http://therustybunch.com/
which would have helped explain why a sane person would jump off the side of the road with a metal detector on the way home from work on a weekday in work cloths. The terrain where I found the skull was very steep and not near any trails.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
When I first got interested in this hobby, about 9 I think, my grandfather came over and let me borrow his machine to use. We lived on 500 acres in NY which was a YMCA conference center. Back into the woods and around the lake a bit, there was a makeshift chapel overlooking the lake from a bluff. Not much there, just a bunch of benches and a podium for the preacher. I honestly can't remember it being used at all back then.

Anyway while detecting around the podium we happened to dig up a neat tin and thought we had stumbled upon a small cache only to discover ashes inside. We quickly reburied the tin and told dad about it, who later found out it was a local woman who had died years before and loved that spot.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't personally but a couple of members of my THing club have. Recently there was a teardown of buildings in downtown Tulsa and they found some human bones. Authorities finally determined it was part of an old small graveyard that had been built over back in the early teens. Now they have been built over again! Monty

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Yes! I dug up the grave of a Crusader while living in Turkey back in 1967. I found plenty of bones but there was no skull in the grave. I was only 11 years old at the time and he was all of 871years old. Wow! He's 912 years old this year! How cool is that?

A battle had taken place between a group of the first Crusaders and the Turks, around 1096 AD. The location was the ancient city of Civetot ( do a search on-line for an interesting read).

Anyway, the MP's made me bury it, and my father was not a happy camper.
That was a long time ago, but I know I could locate the same spot again.

Although I didn't have a detector at that time, I did eyeball an ancient Byzantine coin while living there. That's where the treasure bug first bit me! I still have that coin to go along with the memories. I'll have to take a pic of it and post it here. All I have to do is find it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread