Bounty hunter discovery 1100

Iunno

Dec 26, 2007
This is the detector i am currently using. It's the only one i've ever used. Had it for about 2 years. I have not seen many people on here with this model and was wondering if i should think about upgrading soon. Also, does anybody have any tips for using this model?
Thanks.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Depends on what you want to find, Cinder2007. I started with one like it years ago. I have owned several detectors. I'm sure it's fine on coins, but do you want to hunt other things??

DM

OP
OP
I

Iunno

Dec 26, 2007
Digginman said:
Depends on what you want to find, Cinder2007. I started with one like it years ago. I have owned several detectors. I'm sure it's fine on coins, but do you want to hunt other things??

DM
well, i would like an all around detector. One that can find coins, jewelry, relics, etc.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what is called an entry level detector. Just good enough to get you interested. I suggest you save up for a upgrade like to a Tesoro Vaqureo or Silver Umax. You would be extremely happy with either of them.

Beach hunting can be done with about any detector in the dry sand. In the wet however you should have a saltwater mode or a Minelab or a Pulse Induction type. The PI has almost no disc. so it sucks on grass for coins. No pinpoint either.

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
Listen to Sandman. Here is a post I just made in another topic.

I have an Ace 250. Compared to the Tesoro Silver uMax I just bought, the Ace is a toy while the Silver is a tool. The Silver uMax is 10x the detector either the Ace or the F2 is. I don't have an F2 but it is getting pretty poor reviews from folks on here that I trust.

With the Silver, it 'sings' to you when you should dig. Plus, I don't like having to walk around looking at a screen. With the Silver, you just listen until it tells you to dig.

If you're coin hunting and turn the discrimination up, there is no doubt when you hit a coin. I found 3 pennies about 2" apart the other day, and I knew it was three coins before I started digging. The Ace would have only given one signal. Plus, I hate the 'ding' tone of the Ace. The Silver sounds like a cool drum circle with the choppy signals as you move thru trash but man, when you hit something good, it's like the Silver gets excited - perfectly obvious sound. It sings out, leaving no doubt where to dig.

I'm covering ground probably 10 times faster with the Silver than with the Ace and have much more confidence that I'm not leaving things of interest behind. Plus, it's just more fun.

I dug a dime at over 8" with the Silver this past weekend. The Ace never would have found it.

Oh, and the Ace is piss-poor at pinpointing compared to the Silver. I'm digging smaller holes and often just popping items instead of having to dig a plug.

Anybody want to buy an Ace? I was keeping it around for friends but I think I'll sell it and buy another Silver. Then I can run a couple of different coils when I'm out alone.

R

robert roy

I would agree with Davvvveman.
The F2 is not going to take the market by storm the way the Ace 250 did.
The F2 is a nice little machine for what it does but will never be the strong seller. The F2 is not a very well made machine, from what I have heard from the old timers on the different Metal Detecting forums. Still, no one likes to think they made a bad investment and will defend the F2. You would be better off with the F4, a machine that has gotten many good reviews. (If you can afford it go with the X-70 mineLab) but if your a beginner the Ace 250 is the way to go.

Go with the Ace 250 and you will not regret it. The Bounty Hunter machines do find coins, relics etc but has unfortunately gained a bad reputation by association with WalMart and Radio Crap ( I mean Radio Shack). Opps ;D Actually the BH machines are not that bad from what I hear. Its just they got a bum rap.

Robert R

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
What you have now is the exact model I started out with a little over a year ago. It's good down to about two to three inches. As mentioned above, it's good enough to get you interested. Once you have picked up some finds and learned your basic pin-pointing and you're still interested, it's time to move on to something better. For a few more dollars, the 2200 model would've held you in there a little longer. Spend about $200-230 for your next model until you're ready for your next upgrade.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Cinder, if your machine functions well and meets your needs there may be little reason to replace it.

If you want a new machine others are using and frequently discussing, do not buy a Tesoro Silver uMax.

They can be purchased for as little as $239, are a pleasure to operate, and have a lifetime warranty.

Tesoro means treasure. Metal detect with a smile!

R M P T R

R

robert roy

I think you'll do fine with the Ace 250. ::)
The machine comes with a DVD and manual.
Its really a simple turn and go machine and
you probably won't need the DVD, but I like the
DVD's personally. I am a visual person and like to SEE
how the machine works. Fisher doesn't use DVD's
to my knowledge. ;D Neither the F2,F4 or the F75 comes
with a DVD. They are thinking about puting one out
however, but right now its just talk, nothing concrete.

Good Luck
Robert R ;D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have to throw my 2 cents in here. Try and find a used Deleon by Tesoro. I have found Silver, Gold, wheat pennies, tokens, jewelry, relics you name it. It is easy to learn, well built, lightweight and it is one heck of a machine. I love mine. I have seen a few going for $325-$350. A little more than the ACE 250 but you get a much better machine IN MY OPINION.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Cinder,

The only BH that I have used is the Big Bud. I found my first Barber quarter with it at between 5-6 inches.
I really liked that machine except for the fact that it would suck alkaline 9v batteries dry in short order!

I have an old Tesoro Silver Sabre that works pretty well, but the newer version is probably better. I have never used the Ace, so I'm no help there.

If you can find a White's Eagle II SL at a decent price....I recommend it for an all around good detector. I have found coins, rings, jewelry and relics with mine. You should also be able to find gold with it....I haven't because I haven't been digging anything in the nickle or pull tab range.

Hope you are able to upgrade, and I hope you find a lot ;D

Timberwolf

ajf3

Greenie
Feb 1, 2007
Hi all,

Just reading this thread & thought I'd make a post - semi related. I have a Bounty Hunter 3300 that I picked up at Radio Shack a few years ago when they had them on clearance.

I've been pretty happy with it, but I don't really have anything to compare to - it's the only one I've ever had. I use it in the woods now & again & then during beach trips in the summer. As most have reported it does well on dry sand, but kind of goes nuts in the wet.

I read the post about turning the sensitivity down so I was planning on giving that a try this year (Ocean City & Myrtle Beach), but now I'm wondering if I would be better off buying a 'better' detector instead. The reviews on the uMax sounded really good, but when I took a look at one it seems like a really basic model - ie, no lcd display, no way to notch out certain signals, etc.

Guess I don't really know which way to go so I figured I'd post a note...

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I got a Disc 1100 for Xmas last year. After 2 months I found I was hooked and wanted a better machine. I got the ACE 250 and my coin count about tripled. I went back to places I searched with the 1100 and definitely uncovered more goodies.

Yes, there are much better machines out there. However, I think alot depends on how much time you put into the hobby. I had hunted for about 30 or 40 hours when I realized that I would rather be out MDing than watching TV. I lead a pretty busy life with family etc, and I was MAKING time to MD inside of an already busy schedule. So for me it was worth every penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread