Life of a Dumpster Diver

Masonlid

Mar 14, 2005
good ole Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre U Max
I have always been hooked on finding "treasures" no matter what form. I have found more "goodies" dumpster diving then I have detecting. Even finding goodies at my local carwash....You would be surprised what folks throw away. I have found electronics,jewelry,money and things that made me blush :-[ . I have also found things that were stolen like a lady's wallet(that I was able to return).I have returned a S.S card(social security) and a driver's license.I have found blank checks(which I destroyed). I have found silver and gold in the trash. Anyone else have this problem?

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Masonlid, we don't have dumpsters where I live except at stores and they are fenced in. Sounds like you have found some neat things. I bet you find lots of aluminum cans don't you? Good luck on your hunts. Maybe you'll post some pictures of your finds.

Pepper

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
I recall reading somewhere recently about a "carwash junkie" that was getting 100's of coins & some jewelry from sifting thru the stuff dumped out of their vacuum cleaners. As in bucketsful!

Dex

Dec 27, 2007
Baltimore/DC
Detector(s) used
Discriminator II
Yup, you gotta get your treasure where you can find them. I've heard of the car wash vacs and having lived in Silicon Valley during the dot.com boom I'm no stranger to dumpster diving either, for "different" kinds of treasure.

I was one of the people who predicted gold going up back around 2000 so I started buying small lots. I was also paying 5-6 dollars for silver rounds at that time. A couple of years ago I started trolling the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores and actually found some treasures there in the form of gold, silver and rare books. Flea markets were also wonderful troves. I was buying gold rings for a song...until gold started swiftly rising which kind of ended that whole era, but not entirely. You can still get "deals" at these places but I haven't seen a decent peice of jewelry being sold at a Goodwill store for almost 2 years now, I'm sure they don't even make it to the display case anymore which is why it's really important to find one that has honest employees but those sources are just drying up more or less. Everybody knows that gold is really high now and they aren't treating it so lightly as they used to.

Anyway, so far I've had much better luck paying for some of my treasures in seeminly unlikely places than I have in actually finding anything in the dirt. All of my investments have appreciated, many of them several fold. I'm not giving up on MDing and prospecting though, it just takes a little more patience for those things, some solid planning and the ability to take the time which is the most valuable factor of all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread