Researching in a library

Iunno

Dec 26, 2007
How would i go about doing this? Is there a big book with pictures of all the houses in my town? I do know that at my library they have a newspaper archive machine that lets you view old newspapers. I figure i could just go down with a pen and paper and see what happens, but i decided to ask you guys for any tips on finding info. Thanks :D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Cinder,

Most libraries will have a local section. There should be a few books on the local history and even 1 or two on the town itself. If your town has a historical society, they may be a great resource too. Another resource is Arcadia Publishing (www.arcadiapublishing.com). They have history books on a lot of the small towns and regional history as well. Hope it helps.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also try your local historical society.They may have an old atlas that showa where the old churches, schools,and homes....
I have bought several old atlases at auctions,so you may want to try that .

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You might also try your local book store. A lot of times they have books written by area writers who've been published and is in the local section. If you're lucky, you might find a book like this.

Attachments

• S3011706.JPG
    S3011706.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 228
  • S3011707.JPG
    S3011707.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 229
K

Kentucky Kache

Much of what you're looking for will be in the genealogy section.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
The old newspapers are terrific for looking up where mtgs,picnics,gatherings were held.Then look up where those places are now from current and old maps.Talk,Talk,and Talk to all the oldtimers you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread