Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in the Uk is fast becoming a keeping up with the Jone's as rearguards to detectors and I must admit I have fallen into the trap of the must have new kid on the block, I am referring to the XP Goldmax or hammered hoover as it is known as over here. The point I am trying to make is that most of the detectors on the market do what you want them to do, take myself for example I had used a Tesoro Lobo super Traq for six years and had found loads of silver coins hammered from all periods Roman coins brooches the lot, it was the most popular detector of the time designed for Gold prospecting hunting out Gold nuggets the size of BB shot and so it was red hot over here on small silver coins, then a couple of years ago XP brought out the Goldmax with a higher Khz 18 as apposed to the lobo which has a 17.5Khz frequency this meant a faster recovery rate for the Gold Max, recovery is when a good target is in close proximity to a Iron target, this only matters when you hunt trashy areas, so what happens every body wants a Gold max.With out going on for ever all I can say is that my personell opinion is that the Gold max is no better than the Lobo after using both machines I have found the Lobo to be the best, the Gold max is lighter but I prefer the Tesoro. Just a note at the end, the outher day I was talking to a elderly gentle man who commented about the Gold max saying he was thinking of buying one, I asked him how many hammered coins he had found during his metal detecting time , his reply was over seventy coins, how many have you found deeper than four inches said I, none said he, why do you want to change your detecter for one of these I replied, he was using a Whites dfx, any half decent detector will find hammered coins because they are not that deep in the ground because the don't have the weight to sink deep.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
I have a GMP, and am pleased with it, but I wouldn´t say that a lot of other detectors won´t keep up with it (Except maybe in very very trashy area´s). The only real advantage the GMP seems to have over the Tesoro in general (Normal) detecting conditions is the ability to handle coke, and the wireless headphones (These actually work too), which I wouldn´t do without after using them. The depth of the GMP doesn´t normally matter, because most of our finds are in 4 to 6 inch depth, which any detector is capable of nowaday´s. But it is a remarkable bit of kit (Just need a GMaxx II to complement it now) LOL

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rayredditch said:
I have a GMP, and am pleased with it, but I wouldn´t say that a lot of other detectors won´t keep up with it (Except maybe in very very trashy area´s). The only real advantage the GMP seems to have over the Tesoro in general (Normal) detecting conditions is the ability to handle coke, and the wireless headphones (These actually work too), which I wouldn´t do without after using them. The depth of the GMP doesn´t normally matter, because most of our finds are in 4 to 6 inch depth, which any detector is capable of nowaday´s. But it is a remarkable bit of kit (Just need a GMaxx II to complement it now) LOL
Have you had any problems with interference with the cordless head phones I have encouted problems near radio masts up to a mile away,I still have problems with coke when using GMP, when I use the Lobo I always now the coke signals. I think really the only way is to check every thing I have dug iffy signals that sounded like coke and they have turned out to be something nice, agree with you on the depth bit so why buy top of the range perhaps a better arsenal of heads for different conditions.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
No, no problems with transmitting masts, and I have several very large ones in my area, they just don´t seem to affect the GMP or the cordless. I have for the GMP, an 11", and a 9", and am getting the 10 * 5 inch eliptical too. However, some of my sites are very highly mineralised, to the extent that I just can´t get the GMP quiet on ground reject, even with sens at minimum. My mate has some problems with his ADX 250, but after a bit of twiddling he gets it quiet. The main reason for having the GMP is it´s ability to recover very fast in some of the heavily trashed ares I have here. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread