Steel ?

OP
OP
coin finder

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
The Detector, I Have is the Prizm 2, the coil is a 950 most of the time and small one some of the time, I go mosty to the beach.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, mine does it too around swingsets and playgrounds. Maybe I should try working with my small sniper-type coil for my IDX Pro... I didn't think about it because I don't get many signals anyway around the playsets.

Bran <><

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
The best you can do is get as close as possible without picking up the steel. A smaller coil (as mentioned already) would help some but it also will pick up the steel. It IS a metal detector after all. .

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One trick that can help is to put the edge of the coil right against the steel post, then pull the coil back in a straight line listening carefully for an extra beep as the coil moves through the range that it picks up the post. As mentioned in other responses, smaller coils can help and a lower sensitivity setting may help a bit, but detectors respond well to steel and iron so there isn't a magic total cure for this.
HH
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread