Newbie question

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I have been lurking on this site for almost two years now. I find your stories really exciting. I, myself have never even held a metal detector in my hands. This spring, after the snow melts I have decided to jump in with both feet. I'm sure it will be my favorite passtime as it suits my personality to a t, I love exploring, photography and solitude.

My question is this... If I had 4 to 5 hundred dollars to buy a detector, what should I get? New or used? I would be working parks and fields, streams and ponds, inland lake shores and the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I could be considered a "green newbie" ???

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Oh no here we go again.

Tesoro makes good machines, Deleon would be my suggestion there.
Whites makes a great machine in the MXT, maybe a used XLT.
Minelab has the X-terra 70 but it might be a little more than you want to spend.
Don't know enough about Fisher or Garrett to make a suggestion there.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Fisher were not owned by Bounty Hunter now, I'd suggest a used Fisher 1266-X or 1270. But since that corporate change has occurred, I'd suggest a Tesoro (they have lifetime warranties).

-Buckleboy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The White's MXT is probably the best all around machine,you can check with Kellyco on a used one.Hope to see your post in the Spring regardless of choice....Do some research,you have plenty of time....Good Luck!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net forum.

A first detector is very important. Having one from a major brand is your first concern so you will know it is operating correctly. Tesoro makes some great detectors and I suggest you visit their website and learn all you can before making a decision.

Take a good look at the Vaquero. If that is to much cash, you might find a good one used. For new, contact Tony at http://tcmetaldetector.com

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do suggest to get one with a depth meter on it. If it has a depth meter then it will have target ID but the ID is not important because you need to learn the sounds of what a coin sounds like versus brass and aluminium. The depth meter will just make the recovery process easier. Why dig a 5 inch plug when it is on the surface? The machines with the depth feature have dropped in price the last few years so why not? I own a Fisher 1270 for relic hunting (no meter) and to me and this is just my OPINION it is quite aggravating not knowing how far to dig when a good target is located. Im sure SOME of the folks without the depth feature on there machine will disagree but like I said thats just my opinion.

KFB

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
AS per my earlier post the Deleon by Tesoro is a TID it is light, simple to operate and it gets good depth. I got a silver quarter at 7 and 1/2 inches with it when I first started using it. The learning time for the Deleon is about 3 minutes. Just kidding but it is very easy to learn. My 8 y/o daughter learned how to use it and started finding stuff in less than 10 minutes with it.

I LOVE Tesoro machines. No they don't pay me to say that and no I don't sell them. I did try the Vanquero and the Cibola but I really like the TID for the depth and some kind of idea what you will be digging.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
I own a Fisher 1270 for relic hunting (no meter) and to me and this is just my OPINION it is quite aggravating not knowing how far to dig when a good target is located. Im sure SOME of the folks without the depth feature on there machine will disagree but like I said thats just my opinion.

KFB

Well...you know how I feel. I love the non-metered, analog machines. Now I'm sure that using a depth meter would make things a little easier, but I have a simple solution: DIG DEEP. ;)

-Buckleboy

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Unless your just wanting to spend 400 to 500 bucks I would try out the Ace 250. It costs around 200 and is a great machine. It a great starter machine and is also a great machine to use from now on. This way if for some reason detecting wasn't what you thought it was you wouldn't be out much money.
There are so many opinions on which detector is best on this forum so read between the lines and figure out which is best for you and especially to what you want to find.

R

robert roy

If all else save your money and get the Ace 250. Its Garretts best entry level machine. If you find MDing isn't for you then you have not spent much money and can always resell it on ebay.

HOWEVER, as already said you could buy yourself a Tesoro, a well known machine. The SIlver UMax is hot right now.

I'd go with either the Garrett Ace 250 of one of the Tesoros. Either way you don't have to spend mega bucks for a decent machine.

Good Luck

Regards
RObert R ;D

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Chat with Tony. If I had not found a local dealer I would have bought from him. I've heard many good things about his deals. If I had it to do over again I would have started with an Ace 250.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Lots of good suggestions, let me throw in one more. For a little less than your budget, go to an auction site and pick up a used White's machine. A good mid-range like the Quantum or the IDX will be a good starter, DON'T get too complicated! A used Sovereign is within your budget, or maybe an Explorer. Save a machine like that until you've got some time to learn the nuances. A mid-range White's will be right in your learning curve and price range.
Just my suggestion.

grizzly bare

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
grizz i think the quantums or qxts are real sleepers for the price used, you can get a great machine for under 500 used, Mxt, Qxt, Idx, T-2, Xterra 70. you can get the qxt for around 300- 350

OP
OP
MichiganRob

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thank you all for your suggestions, I will consider all of your good points. I have heard a lot of good things about the ACE250 and right now that's what I.m thinking. I've also heard a lot of good things about some White's maodels.

Springtimes a 'commin, I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanx again
MichiganRob

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:
I own a Fisher 1270 for relic hunting (no meter) and to me and this is just my OPINION it is quite aggravating not knowing how far to dig when a good target is located. Im sure SOME of the folks without the depth feature on there machine will disagree but like I said thats just my opinion.

KFB

Well...you know how I feel. I love the non-metered, analog machines. Now I'm sure that using a depth meter would make things a little easier, but I have a simple solution: DIG DEEP. ;)

-Buckleboy

Yes thats a good plan. Dig a 7 inch plug when its a new penny dropped yesterday laying on the surface! :D What you need is a pinpointer! YEAH!

KFB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions