First beach hunt-anyone hunted in Rockport Tx?

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, my first advise is to have fun! I went to Pensacola last summer with an ace 250 and found loads of tabs and some clad. I plan on going back in May and I'm hoping to land some jewelry. From all the info I've gleaned from here I would suggest that you have a detector that works in water. It seems that most rings are in a little ways.
Although my trip was not monetarily profitable I will never forget how much I enjoyed hunting in the sand.
Good luck!

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
You should do ok on the dry sand with the ace, try early morning or late afternoon, survey how many people on the beach the day before if possible, it will give you an idea of where to hunt, when on the beach with my ace I eliminate the very first block on the screen, that should get rid of the bottle tops but you'll still dig pulltabs and of course lots of coins, sometimes if people drop one coin there may be two or three more with it. I have taken mine in the water but don't have a long scoop, everything can get wet but the control unit, the rings are out there in the water, but you may get lucky on a low tide at the shoreline. Good luck and have fun!

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
I used to work down there in that area. Try going to Padre Island, but the barren areas. Everything that falls into the Gulf washes up on there. Never know, maybe find some old spanish gold :)

OP
OP
E

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks guys for your replies. Sara I am jealous I lived in Pensacola for 16 yrs and miss that beautiful white sand.
Good info Ozzy we do have a scoop with long handle so will try to go out in water a ways. There is some big things going on this weekend where we are going so we will go behind them Sunday and Monday and clean up.. ;).
Woody I wanted to go to S Padre but have to go a little closer not enough time. We married down there on the beach during Sand Castle days 3 years ago. Closest thing to a Florida beach we have here in Texas. Most important we will have FUN! Good luck to ya'll if you get out this weekend.
HH

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
It seem to me the week after spring break most of the student are so drunk that they don't know they lost anything for about a week

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected in Rockport, for A club hunt and it went well. They found money and rings and junk. One guy got several gold rings out in the deep surf.

It is true about Padre Island, there is a stream in the gulf of Mexico called the devils elbow, everything washes up from all over the world along the sea shore. Just be careful the part you are on is not the national sea shore. You can't detect there and they WILL take your detectors and fine you.

OP
OP
E

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
transplant said:
It seem to me the week after spring break most of the student are so drunk that they don't know they lost anything for about a week

Hey never thought of that ;D-good idea!

OP
OP
E

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks TxKicker for letting us know. Now I can't wait to get to Padre Island soon. I would never try the National seashore but I had no idea they would resort to that-crazy. good luck on your next hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread