what do you do with found ammo

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Found a 9mm round a few inches deep and corroded. It's a live round and looks like it's been there awhile. A long time ago, I was taught that gun power (the older stuff) will form crystal's, and the slightest vibration will set it off. Not sure about today's gun power though, so for now, I'm treating it as 'VOLATILE' :o

What should I do about disposing of it the proper way? I was thinking that I'd sit it in vinegar for a month, hoping to dissolve it.

//as I'm writing this, a vision of a bomb squad entering my house just popped into my head.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standard ammo doesn't become unstable like that "Mike". You can drop it off at a local law enforcement agency or fire department if you don't want to mess with more complicated disposal methods. Just wrap it in some tissue or toilet paper, put it in a baggie and tell them you found it.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Well, if it DOES NOT become unstable (are you sure?), then I'll just keep it with my own 9mm ammo.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the old cordite/gun cotton stuff with fulminate (mercury) primers was hairy if repeatedly dampened and dry. Black powder mostly becomes fertilizer and acids, and the modern powders do pretty much the same.

Dynamite (TNT), Torpex and some of the high explosives in old artillery shells and mortors still account for the occasional French farmer from WWI & WWII artifacts.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually just put it in a paper towel and toss it in the garbage. If it was something bigger than a small arms round, I would be calling the FD or PD and have them take care of it.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin said:
Well, if it DOES NOT become unstable (are you sure?), then I'll just keep it with my own 9mm ammo.

I wouldn't keep it with your good ammo. . . I've actually witnessed some rather old center fire ammo (.38 special) actually "hang" for almost a quarter-of-a-second before discharging. It would be best to drop it off to the authorities as Cybercop suggested and not take any chances.

Keep safe,
watercolor

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Put it back in the hole or throw it away in the trash. I'm not talking about bombs; I'm talking about common everyday ammo which is what you have.

HH

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
never leave it in the hole. if you don't want it take to your local PD or SO and let them dispose of it, if you don't want to transport it or touch it, call 911 and notify them and then they can deal with it

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Hold on a minute. The solution is far simpler than it sounds. I have vast experience in ammunition and explosive storage, transportation, applications etc. If you find a single small arms round THROW IT AWAY! It is not dangerous with the exception of the .22 long rifle round. I know it sounds like this doesn’t make sense HOWEVER it is TRUE. IF the powder in the 9mm round should somehow ignite the most it can do is put a welt on skin. As a matter of fact the shell casing is more dangerous that the round itself. Don’t waste the authority’s time with this, just toss it.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If you are scared leave it in the hole, if you are not, throw it away in the trash. I a hunter and a gun nerd, started playing combat when I was about 6 years old. And started hunting when I was 8, I'm going on 53 ;).

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI as posted by our friends just pull the projectile with pliers, dump the powder, then throw the mess in the garbage. An "unconfined" small arms cartridge, such as the 9 m/m, is effectively harmless even if it were to ignite the charge. As mentioned it would only cause a welt, the case itself might inflict a small cut if it were in your fingers.

Do "not" attempt to fire the primer with a hammer and nail for example, just let nature take care of it

After opening the case, and dumping the propellent, the moisture or water will soon render it harmless..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
I've dug thousands of fired bullets and unfired cartridges here in the local urban parks. I tumble all my modern bullets and throw them in a bag and out of the dozens of unfired cartridges I've tumbled in the last 25 years, I didn't have any go off. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe they don't pose a serious threat. I think after years of corroding and soaking up water in the ground, they lose their explosive power. I only had one large WWI artillary shell and a live coast guard flare that I found that I didn't keep - just threw them into the closest body of water I could find.... that way I didn't have to worry about them. I have a rusted .25 semi-auto, fully loaded that I found and I treat it gingerly because I couldn't pull the clip to get the rounds out. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, but don't worry yourself needlessly. Take care and HH, Mike.

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
like in this pic I just walk away

Attachments

• LiveLeak-dot-com-140632-080113_fea3_med.jpg
    LiveLeak-dot-com-140632-080113_fea3_med.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 235

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread