How much more do you notice now

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Since starting to metal detect I find I'am becoming much more aware of my surroundings noticing small details that I haden't even thought about before.

The way the sand and sea and wind act as a single entity to shape the landscape and also where things might end up.

Trying to form a mental picture of days gone by is becoming easier and almost second nature. I judge my increasing perfomance by the fact that more often than not my hunchs are starting to pay off.

Once I started by grabbing my detecting rushing out and expecting to find things just by sweeping now I make educated guess's to where to sweep

just a thought S.I.R

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I notice my knees hurting with each step. When I get a beep, I wonder if it is worth kneeling down to retrieve it knowing I'd have to crawl to a picnic table to get up again. I notice that now when I see a penney on the pavement that if I can't see the back to see if it is a Wheatie, it stays there.

It's not really this bad, but some day..........

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
well on that happy note welcome to the net. I look for old dates on homes with the oldest being a 1717

HH DDEII

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I've noticed I'm more in tune with nature. Since I hunt alone I now pack a gun as well as a knife in my pocket apron. A bird can move, or a leaf, and I notice it right away. Use to I would not have noticed. It is not fear, it is awareness.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you hunt whitetail deer it pays to be observant and hunt the natural "funnels" where they are likely to concentrate. The same can be said for coin drops. Think: "Where would someone be reaching in their pockets?"

People sit on low stone walls. People throw jackets over rail fences near vollyball, tennis, basketball etc. courts (Boy, has that revelation paid for itself for me). People sit under trees. People might have sat under really big trees back when silver was in circulation. When your town park has a fair or carnival make a note of where the ticket and concession stands are parked.

And hunt everywhere anyhow. Coins and jewelry are lost accidently, which means there are no rules. :D

As far as being observant to dangers: I hunt with Rattler one-earpiece headphone almost all the time anymore. When I'm in the woods I often have a .45acp in addition to my Lesche and rock hammer.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
notice of surroundings = research = educated guess of where good finds could be = cha ching ching, lots of bling bling

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sandman, I'm with you, as will these Whippersnappers before they know it. ;) I noticed this year deer hunting that I could count the leaves falling. Raccons go UP the tree in the morning and DOWN the tree in the evening. If I was lucky, I could catch both performances! Lots of life and love in those woods! -Noodle

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Sandman said:
Yeah, I notice my knees hurting with each step. When I get a beep, I wonder if it is worth kneeling down to retrieve it knowing I'd have to crawl to a picnic table to get up again. I notice that now when I see a penney on the pavement that if I can't see the back to see if it is a Wheatie, it stays there.

It's not really this bad, but some day..........
poor Sandman seriously though out of all the terrains I've detected thus far I got to say the beach was the most challeging in terms of finding the hotspots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread