Anyone every find a Cow Magnet

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cow magnet is a preventive veterinary medical device for cattle, consisting of a plastic cylinder about one centimeter in diameter, which encloses a strong alnico magnet. A rancher or dairy farmer feeds a magnet to each cow; it settles in the rumen or reticulum and remains there for the life of the animal.

When the cow grazes, it often consumes and swallows what is called tramp iron: baling and barbed wire, staples, nails, and other metallic objects. These objects are indigestible, and would lodge in the reticulum and cause inflammation, resulting in lower milk production (for dairy cattle) or lower weight gain (for feeder stock). This condition is called hardware disease.

The cow magnet attracts such objects and prevents them from becoming lodged in the animal's tissue. While the resultant mass of iron remains in the cow's rumen as a sort of bezoar, it does not cause the severe problems of hardware disease. Cow Magnets cannot be passed through a cow's 4th bonivial meta-colon. Found this on the web site.....
Years ago I found one of these in a field . Never knew what it was, until a farmer told me what they were used for. At first I thought he was giving me a wild story, but I guess he was right I was just wondering if anyone else happen upon one while MD"ing. Hope the pic is clear enough. .

Attachments

• cow magnet.jpg
    cow magnet.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Cow_magnet.jpg
    Cow_magnet.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 281

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I did find one of those...but growing up on a dairy farm I knew exactly what it was .....so handled with care :D

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
That's very interesting, but I'm not sure I really wanted to know that. :)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I snuck up on a cow once and screamed to scare her but no magnet ::)

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
What does it smell like? ;D
Just kidding of course. I know farmers up here in New York, that pile away there dead animals off on there land. Found em in the woods and edges of fields before. The dead cows that is.

R

robert roy

Well, learned something today. Here I thought it was to keep the cow attached to the fridge! ;D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law puts cow magnets on his fuel line in his Chevy truck. He claims it reformulates the gas and he gets better fuel mileage but then again he is from Oregon. ;)

R

robert roy

I wonder if I strapped one to each side of my knees It help relieve the arthrithis ???
RR

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
robert roy said:
I wonder if I strapped one to each side of my knees It help relieve the arthrithis ???
RR

just read on another thread about ol folk rememdies folks eating golden raisens soaked in gin for theirs, they all seem to be having possitive effects from the raisens. 9 a day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread