Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being new, I asked the same question a few weeks ago. The answer was, they are found in the holes with the coins, etc. I guess kids would drop them at the same time the coins were dropped. i.e. a pocket spill. Some are found on top of ground, like at a tot lot.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
We find most of the marbles at demolition sites after being plowed or pushed up by construction equipment, we dig them too, but most of them are eyeball on the ground at sites like I mentioned.

A little more information:
The best place to set up a marble game is on a dirt surface, clay is the best. A boy would have both front pockets filled to the brim with marbles, at least 50 or 60 of them. That’s how many marbles we carried, and some had shoeboxes full of them. Playing marbles became a bad thing to do because parents started to relate playing marbles to gambling.

Back then if you were a marble player you knew who the other kids were who played marbles because their front pockets bulged out due to being filled with marbles. So you can find millions of marbles out there.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are any valuable?

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Goes4ever said:
are any valuable?

Yeap some go for 100's of dollars, jsut like coins, but unlike coins most are worthless, at least coins hold thier face value. But I like collecting marbles anyway.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Some sites are better at producing marbles. Yes, I have found plenty by eyeballing them on the top of the ground. But most are found when digging a generous "plug". If you are digging shallow, narrow plugs you probably will not find that many.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Mirage said:
Some sites are better at producing marbles. Yes, I have found plenty by eyeballing them on the top of the ground. But most are found when digging a generous "plug". If you are digging shallow, narrow plugs you probably will not find that many.

My holes aren’t that deep, unless I detect a deep target. I see lots of ML guys digging deep holes and they find lots of marbles that way. I’ve been MD'ing about 4 years and I have 133 marbles, 95 present of them have been eyeballed.

At this one particular site that I hunt I noticed that lots of the ML users dig gapping holes. But the majority of the targets are shallow because the place has been scraped. So I’m digging targets on average 1” to 4” and I see the ML guys digging 7“-12” holes.

I figured this was because from what I have heard the EX2 and SE’s take extra time to pin point a target. And it’s faster to retrieve a target by digging a bigger hole than to waste time using a pin pointer. Using the GB-2 I don’t need a pin pointer and I dig hole at this site at the depths I’ve mentioned. Nothing is wrong with that, but I did notice that.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I find quite a few of them laying right on top of the ground while I am out detecting. Never have found one in a hole while digging.

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
yep! a burban blue cat eye is worth 700.00 dollars on eBay!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread