Lost in Williamsburg
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jan 2008
    Williamsburg, VA
    Whites DFX 300
    8 times

Lost in Williamsburg

I am fairly new to detecting and I live in Williamsburg, VA. I am very new at detecting and I have less than 30 hours detecting using my Garrett's Ace 300. I do hope to post my recent finds very soon (as soon as I can get good pics to come out). I am expecting my new White's XLT today. Living in Williamsburg and metal decting doesn't seem to fair well together. I have attempted (poor success rate) researching CW areas and spoke to a couple of land owners that were less than acceptable. So, any help? I don't mind a few hours travel either on the weekends. Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Gary

us
    Jan 2007
    Mesquite Texas
    MXT F2
    13 times

Re: Lost in Williamsburg

Your in a tough area. Rich with history to colonial days. People are pretty touchy around there about there property. Many nighthawkers over the years have kind of put a damper on things for mding around there. Keep at it though. Land one site and you can come up with amazing relics. Try to locate a club around there. They would probably be a big help with contacts.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Jun 2007
    15550 times

Yo! I would check with the "General Discussion by Location" section of this web-site; look for VIRGINIA. ALSO, may find something in the "Revolutionary War" section... under "Civil War"; MAY even find some stuff there. I DO know that Commonwealth of Virginia LAWS are TOUGH on Thers & THing... BE CAREFUL out there...

Jan 2008
    Lewistown, PA
    White's Spectrum XLT
    1 times

Just know if it is a well known battle site (even the lesser ones today), that there is a high probablity that it has been pick farely clean. G-burg for example was being detected on a regular base at night back in the late 60's early 70's. Security wasn't what it is now. I once knew a fellow who lived in G-burg and had 10 wiskey boxes full of every thing imaginable. Does not mean that there wasn't enough lead thrown around that everythings gone or that all the places have been covered....just much harder to find. Alot of the land is not in the NPS (which is a big no no) but private. Construction sites are ecellent (as mentioned in another post) and lots of times at these one does even need a detector. In these they are already tearing up the place and usually give the Okey Doky.
    'I ain't never been lost, but I may have been confused once or twice'.---Daniel Boone

us
    Jan 2008
    Williamsburg, VA
    Whites DFX 300
    8 times

Ok, thanks for all the great advice. It seems this is just going to be a "tread Lightly" area. I out and asking for permission to detect on private land. I'm sure something will open up. I did see that there is a club in VB. They might be a good place to join up with. Thanks again all.

us
    Mar 2007
    Kerrville, TX
    White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
    13 times

Gary,
    I hear you all too well. I live up here in Manassas.........same thing here. Don't let yourself get locked into just MDng on land. You have VA Beach a short distance from you. You will see Ron and Ann.....and others down your way here on TNET. Get acquainted with them..........they have a ton of experience. Pick their brains.....I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you out.

BTW, your nearest authorized White's service center is here in Manassas, about a mile from my house.

Good Luck!
    HH
    --Mel

borninok
    To conquer your flaws, you must first accept them.

us
    Jul 2008
    Hampton, VA
    F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
    116 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

If you read this again email me I live in Hampton have hunted in Williamsburg for years, Fort Magruder is a housing development now.
    reid_man@cox.net Reid

May 2003

Re: Lost in Williamsburg - club in Hampton - Hampton Roads Recovery Society

Sponsored Links