Lost in Williamsburg

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
I am fairly new to detecting and I live in Williamsburg, VA. I am very new at detecting and I have less than 30 hours detecting using my Garrett's Ace 300. I do hope to post my recent finds very soon (as soon as I can get good pics to come out). I am expecting my new White's XLT today. Living in Williamsburg and metal decting doesn't seem to fair well together. I have attempted (poor success rate) researching CW areas and spoke to a couple of land owners that were less than acceptable. So, any help? I don't mind a few hours travel either on the weekends. Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Gary

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Your in a tough area. Rich with history to colonial days. People are pretty touchy around there about there property. Many nighthawkers over the years have kind of put a damper on things for mding around there. Keep at it though. Land one site and you can come up with amazing relics. Try to locate a club around there. They would probably be a big help with contacts.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yo! ;D I would check with the "General Discussion by Location" section of this web-site; look for VIRGINIA. ALSO, may find something in the "Revolutionary War" section... under "Civil War"; MAY even find some stuff there. I DO know that Commonwealth of Virginia LAWS are TOUGH on Thers & THing... BE CAREFUL out there... ;) :)

kuhnfucius

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2008
Lewistown, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Just know if it is a well known battle site (even the lesser ones today), that there is a high probablity that it has been pick farely clean. G-burg for example was being detected on a regular base at night back in the late 60's early 70's. Security wasn't what it is now. I once knew a fellow who lived in G-burg and had 10 wiskey boxes full of every thing imaginable. Does not mean that there wasn't enough lead thrown around that everythings gone or that all the places have been covered....just much harder to find. Alot of the land is not in the NPS (which is a big no no) but private. Construction sites are ecellent (as mentioned in another post) and lots of times at these one does even need a detector. In these they are already tearing up the place and usually give the Okey Doky.

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Ok, thanks for all the great advice. It seems this is just going to be a "tread Lightly" area. I out and asking for permission to detect on private land. I'm sure something will open up. I did see that there is a club in VB. They might be a good place to join up with. Thanks again all.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Gary,
I hear you all too well. I live up here in Manassas.........same thing here. Don't let yourself get locked into just MDng on land. You have VA Beach a short distance from you. You will see Ron and Ann.....and others down your way here on TNET. Get acquainted with them..........they have a ton of experience. Pick their brains.....I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you out.

BTW, your nearest authorized White's service center is here in Manassas, about a mile from my house.

Good Luck!
HH
--Mel

borninok

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you read this again email me I live in Hampton have hunted in Williamsburg for years, Fort Magruder is a housing development now.
[email protected] Reid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread