Prizm V compared to the DFX

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question that I would like to have some imput on. For the last 3 years, I have been using the White's Prizm V. Lately, I've been thinking of upgrading a little to the DFX. My questions are as follows: 1. How heavy is the DFX? 2. The Prizm V has a 9 1/2" coil. The DFX has a 10" coil. How much more depth, in general can I expect to get with a 1/2" larger coil? I am primarily a coin/jewelry type hunter, so finding gold nuggets is not a high priortiy in my part of the country. I know that this could be a hard question for most MDers, as I don't know anyone who has both detectors, but thought that I would throw it out there to see what comes back. Thanks for your help.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I had a Prism V and now have a DFX. The DFX is A LOT more sensitive and therefore noisy. The DFX is a little heavier but not very much. I think that if you're going to be serious about detecting for a while then the DFX is worth upgrading to. It's going to take you a while to get used to, unlike the Prism that you just turn on and detect with.
Good luck if you choose the DFX.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mark v said:
I had a Prism V and now have a DFX. The DFX is A LOT more sensitive and therefore noisy. The DFX is a little heavier but not very much. I think that if you're going to be serious about detecting for a while then the DFX is worth upgrading to. It's going to take you a while to get used to, unlike the Prism that you just turn on and detect with.
I was talking to my hunting buddy last night, and he has a DFX which he is going to let me try, if the snow ever melts. I guess my big question now is, did you notice any concernable difference in the depth of your finds? Thanks.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've got both a V and a DFX. In my opinion, there is a big difference between them, however the DFX is miles in front,
and yes it does go deeper

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sniffer said:
I've got both a V and a DFX. In my opinion, there is a big difference between them, however the DFX is miles in front,
and yes it does go deeper
Thanks. It's taken me a good 2 years to really figure everything out on the V, but now, I really trust that machine. I hope that I will be able to learn the DFX the same. Thanks for the info.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One real plus in my mind if you move up into the M6, MXT, DFX series besides the more numerous options in the machines them selves is the coil selection available. Any of these machines are much more versatile than the Prizm series due to the capability of changing to smaller coils for trashy areas or the DD coils for problem ground. I suggest you take a good look at the M6 and the MXT as well before you decide for sure. All three are very capable machines - you won't go too far wrong on any of them in my opinion.
My two bits,
Bill

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
nebstater said:
mark v said:
I was talking to my hunting buddy last night, and he has a DFX which he is going to let me try, if the snow ever melts. I guess my big question now is, did you notice any concernable difference in the depth of your finds? Thanks.

The DFX does go deeper. I believe it does because of the ground balancing capabilities. However, do you know that you can adjust and manually set the ground balance on the Prizm's?

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mark v said:
nebstater said:
mark v said:

The DFX does go deeper. I believe it does because of the ground balancing capabilities. However, do you know that you can adjust and manually set the ground balance on the Prizm's?
No, I did not know that you could adjust and manually set the ground balance on the Prizm's. How?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions