Future of Detecting??

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
This may have been posted before but I was curious if anyone here has thought about the future of detecting. In other words has anyone planted a cache of modern coins or threw change out in a yard for people to find 50 years from now?
Change today is not worth much but in a few decades people will want them.

It would be neat, and I may do this, but plant a cache of change and leave a note saying that congrats on finding this cache. I placed this cache on such and such date. Thanks for detecting.
It would be sort of a time capsule.

What is your take on this?

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
Hopefully you will be able to still dig stuff up by than. The way the laws going, metal detecting may be illegal soon.
On a lighter note though, I bought a foreclosed home and as I fixed it, I closed off a closet/pantry and left messages and notes on the inside walls for people. Maybe I should of left a dollar taped to the wall?
Kind of cool thinking about the people that may find it later on.

OP
OP
acedigger

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Thats cool. I just wonder where our hobby would be if people didn't intentionally plant caches and loose change. It wouldn't be no fun if everyone kept their money in banks.

I recently built a garage and before I sheetrocked it I placed a coffee can with it stuff in it. I placed stuff that I collect in it such as coins and a two dollar bill. My wife placed some of her stuff in it and my son placed some hotwheels there. We left a note describing the stuff and why it was important to us. We also placed a family photo in there so whoever finds it can relate it back to us.

Hopefully the laws won't get much worse for detectors. Guess we'll find out soon.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I also almost posted a similar topic to this a few days ago . What I'm curious about is this .
With coins being made out of cheaper & cheaper materials will future coinshooters find md'ing
worthwhile ? I'm sure most of you have noticed the condition of modern coins coming out of the
ground after only being there for a short time . Will modern coins lost today even still be there
in 10 , 15 or twenty years from now . The time capsul idea is pretty cool . I'm sure someone in
the future will get a big kick out of finding it . I know I would . The only problem I see with it is
if you don't leave notes in several different languages whoever finds it might not be abel to read
it . :(

Failing to prepare is Preparing to fail

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
;D I heard a story about a guy who was about to retire from a Automobile Plant (GM, Ford??)and he placed a small can with marbles inside the rear Quater panel,and a note Saying something to the effect that How long did it take you people to figure the rattle this car made going around corners??? Idig

OP
OP
acedigger

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Idig4beer said:
;D I heard a story about a guy who was about to retire from a Automobile Plant (GM, Ford??)and he placed a small can with marbles inside the rear Quater panel,and a note Saying something to the effect that How long did it take you people to figure the rattle this car made going around corners??? Idig

Thats pretty funny. My family once owned a convienence store and we would hide trash, say a coke can, in the bathroom behind the toilet. We would offer a little incentive to the employee that would bring it in. This way we knew who was actually cleaning the restrooms.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
The time capsule idea is awesome! While working as a framer for many years I would always write my name and the date on a rafter near a stairwell entrance to the attic. I have remolded in old homes and found simular things. If there was a closed off area like a framed piling on a porch I would put things like a coke can or nails ect. for someone to find in the future. Have even dropped tools by accident down a wall. Someone will be finding a speed square tearing down an old house someday.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
WV Hillbilly said:
I also almost posted a similar topic to this a few days ago . What I'm curious about is this .
With coins being made out of cheaper & cheaper materials will future coinshooters find md'ing
worthwhile ? I'm sure most of you have noticed the condition of modern coins coming out of the
ground after only being there for a short time . Will modern coins lost today even still be there
in 10 , 15 or twenty years from now . The time capsul idea is pretty cool . I'm sure someone in
the future will get a big kick out of finding it . I know I would . The only problem I see with it is
if you don't leave notes in several different languages whoever finds it might not be abel to read
it . :(

Failing to prepare is Preparing to fail

I can't imagine much of our modern change surviving in the ground for decades either...guess they'll all be hunting in jewelry mode...

shanegalang said:
The time capsule idea is awesome! While working as a framer for many years I would always write my name and the date on a rafter near a stairwell entrance to the attic. I have remolded in old homes and found simular things. If there was a closed off area like a framed piling on a porch I would put things like a coke can or nails ect. for someone to find in the future. Have even dropped tools by accident down a wall. Someone will be finding a speed square tearing down an old house someday.

LOL..I do the same thing....write my name, date, and little blurb about the events of the day...I'm always throwing pennies under cabinet bases, in the walls or some other nook and cranie before I close them up..
drives my boss crazy...

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
While working in an old farmhouse in VA that was being compleatly remodeled ( I was the electrictian
rewiring it ) the carpenters had removed all the old plaster & lathe , we found that the frame of the
house was made from large hand hewn beams . Each beam had a roman numeral carved into it . I
guess that someone hewed out all the beams & numbered them then put it together by numbers . One
large beam that ran vertically from the basement ceiling up through both floors of the house to the attic
was hewn into a T shape . Same as an inside corner & served the same purpose . The masons that
reworked the fireplaces found an 1823 half cent in one of the hearths . This was several years ago so
I'm going by memory on the date of the half cent . Maybe later I'll tell about another find I made
while rewiring another old house .

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Putting a wire tie on someone's drive shaft makes for some fun noise.

I painted my name and date on the walls behind kitchen cabinets when I remodeled a kitchen.

I'm one of those that think there is going to be sooo many restrictions that MD'ing isn't going to be worth it anymore. Silver clad will probably last a few years I think. The 65's I dig are still fairly decent without signs of decay from being in the ground. Pennies however, being zinc, will drive future detectors crazy.Get a signal, dig a hole, nothing but funny looking dirt.

I have no intention of reburying my finds somewhere other than my own back yard. Short term memory loss sucks. I'd be lucky to remember where in my own yard it was.
Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread