johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, my brother on the West coast, got written permission to metal detect the ski runs on one of the biggest ski areas in the whole West coast :o. However,we will probably have to wait until at least June or July, (too much snow this year). The head of security that gave my brother permission told him that every year after the snow melts they find unbelievable numbers of jewelery. Has anyone else detected ski runs??

PS
This area is so huge that one of the things we thought about right away was posting an invite here at least a month before we get ready to hit it.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WE do but no good stuff just coins alot of coins ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think his "unbelievable amounts of jewelry" is probably an exaggeration. You know how people's stories "grow", from where they find one or two around the lift load platform after the spring melt, and ...... a few year's later ...... it's "unbelievable amounts". I mean, the potential for jewelry (and its ratio with any other types of metals, junk, coins, etc...) would be no more-so than any other type physical recreation. Heck, and I'd think even worse, since when skiing, you are, by nature, bundled to the hilt. Unlike, say, swimming where you're frolicking around with nothing but a bathing suit on ::)

Also, be prepared: Every one of the west coast ski resorts has been worked to a frazzle, each summer, since the dawn of the hobby of metal detecting. Even if your brother's permission source says "no one's ever detected before", it merely means he doesn't know any better. He just hasn't seen, or it was before he worked there, or off his shifts, or he never paid attention, or this was just the first time HE was asked, etc....

hicap25

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, deleon, tigershark
hey jonnycat ive thought always wanted to try a ski area myself im here in Southern oregon if you need help let me know maybe i can make it!

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
I talked with a guy at our campground in western CO last year that said he & his brother do very well, but they "earn" every thing they get, each year on several ski runs. Not much diggin'...mostly just 'tectin'! They have apparently been working the same areas for years...exclusively.

Good Luck!

idighistory

Feb 19, 2008
Bellaire Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/ Pioneer 202
I live in Northern Lower Michigan, and I work at a ski resort as a snow maker. During our down time, when it,s too warm to make snow, we usually prowl the parking lots for garbage. Our finds that one day was two silver rings, many coins and bills. This spring when the resort closes, I am planning on metal detect this area. My ideal area will be where the snow plow piled up snow, under the lift areas.

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Johnnycat,

I've had great luck on ski hills especially near the base of the hill; this is where skiers typically take off their gloves and will more likely loose a ring. I am a member of the Albuquerque Metal Detectors Club but currently live in Alaska. I was an active member from Dec 05 - Oct 06 at which time I was transferred to AK (USAF). Here's the website: http://www.amdaclub.com/ Great people, great friends, awesome club, check them out if you're interested.

Anyway, I detected the Red River Ski Hill in NM and had great luck; I found a beautiful mans 14K ring with 7 diamonds! I also found a huge amount of coins (more quarters than anything else) and found some other neat stuff. A few club members and I tried the Sante Fe hill once but arrived too early in the season...a foot of snow on the mountain! I have plans of detecting all of the ski hills in and around Fairbanks AK this spring after breakup...there are a couple old, no longer operating ski hills that might give up some nice finds.

Good luck,
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
p.s. If you don't find a lot of coins/rings...you will find out (the next day) that you got some exercise!
Happy Detecting & post your finds!
AA

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John, I'd love to give the Santa Fe ski area a good going over with the MXT. Would you
be thinking 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD or 5.3 concentric, other? We likely will have to wait till at least may.
I'll be talking to you further about this. Good luck on you're west coast hunt's. Adios!
Gregory, Santa Fe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions