New(er) pennies

CladMaster

Dec 25, 2007
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer SE
I have only been dirt fishing for a few months. I have noticed that there seems to be a line around the early eighties that pennies come out more rotten. For instance I have never dug a penny dated before early-eighties that is rotten. I find alot of late 80's-present date pennies that come out of the ground pitted and gnarled, real nasty. All the wheats and 60's, 70's might come out corroded, but never pitted, jagged and chewed up. Did they change the metal contents or something? HH!

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
CladMaster said:
I have only been dirt fishing for a few months. I have noticed that there seems to be a line around the early eighties that pennies come out more rotten. For instance I have never dug a penny dated before early-eighties that is rotten. I find alot of late 80's-present date pennies that come out of the ground pitted and gnarled, real nasty. All the wheats and 60's, 70's might come out corroded, but never pitted, jagged and chewed up. Did they change the metal contents or something? HH!

They started making pennies out of zinc with copper plating in and after 1982. Zinc corrodes pretty bad in some soil.

John

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Penny worms don't like eating pre-'82 pennies.. ;D

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
CladMaster said:

lol..I found about 6 of them today...wasn't sure if I should even include them in my coin count..

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Copperhead said:
lol..I found about 6 of them today...wasn't sure if I should even include them in my coin count..

I clean them with my other pennies and just hold on to them. I am sure I will find a use for them someday.
indexCA53BOBL.jpg

Attachments

• indexCA53BOBL.jpg
    indexCA53BOBL.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 123

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread