Have you been chased while Detecting??

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

I just was wondering if any of you have been chased by man, animal etc. while detecting.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was in a tot lot digging a hole. I was consentrating on the hole and not paying attention to what was going on around me when I looked up as saw this large dark brown dog in a full sprint running right at me! By the time I realized what was happening he was there. I can't describe the feeling that overwhelmed me, but lucky for me, he stopped right before he got to me and just sat there and sniffed around. I had pulled out the aluminum can lid that I had dug up and handed it to him with an open hand. He moved in and snifted it. then turned around and walked away. I thought for sure that I was going to be this dog's next meal, but lucky for me he was just checking me out.

Lets here some stories!!

HH

PTP

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That happens to me every time someone brings their dog to the park. Hey, I'm diggin a hole, it's one of their favorite hobbies!

Never been bitten, I'm guessing dogs can smell dog-friendly people. That and the fact people usually don't bring ill-natured dogs to the park. :D

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
ive had a dog sniff my but,and them a month ago this kid folowed me around.i mean i like to tell ppl bout tecting but he was annoying....so i just told hime straight up to go away.
and about the ppl and there dogs,
this lady brout her dog to the park and i was getting the tennis balls i hit over the fence (i was playing tennis not mding) im walking back and the lady said kid dont touch my dog because he bites people,i said lady if ur dog bites get him on the d-m leash in your hand.omg she had his leash and was letting him roam freely i said lady ur retarded she said lemme talk to ur mother so i said what?u wanna hear the same thing twice? :P

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times, out in California while detecting old homesites on present large ranches. Lemme tell you...There is nothing like a big, ornery, looking bull running toward you to put the fear of the Lord in you. First you yell (scream) and wave your arms over your head and then commence to running for the nearest tree.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnycat said:
Many times, out in California while detecting old homesites on present large ranches. Lemme tell you...There is nothing like a big, ornery, looking bull running toward you to put the fear of the Lord in you. First you yell (scream) and wave your arms over your head and then commence to running for the nearest tree.

I know whatcha mean ! Try it on a moonlit night all alone while detectin next to a spooky old abandoned housesite in the middle of knowwere and have onea them bulls come charging out of knowwere bellowin like a banshee ! :o :D

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I've been attacked by bees several times. Once by bees with a hive inside a hollow tree. Also several times while digging up a target and found or hit a bees nest in the ground.

Also been chased by birds from a tree. I would guess I got too close to a nest.

Jeff

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
As most of you who have read my posts know , I have a really bad back & nerve damage in my
left leg . That being said I don't go hardly anywhere without being able to defend myself against
man or beast & wouldn't hesitate to do so . Now , bees are a different story . Sometimes I dream
at night that I am running , free as the breeze like I did when I was a kid . Didn't think I could
really run anymore till I ran my riding mower up on a yellowjackets nest . Before I knew what the
heck was happening there was a cloud of them mean little buggers around me . I left that mower
like my a$$ was on fire & never looked back . Got probably about 20 stings but found out I am
still pretty fleet of foot when I have to be . Good thing that mower had a seat kill switch because
it was full of gas & would still be running as far as I am concerned . ;D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
At a beach one night, 3 dogs came out of the shadows of the pier, running full bore at me, led by a doberman. I was at the waters edge and all I could do was put my shovel and detector between us. They went whizzing right by me all in a row, and I knew they were OK! They were having a blast chasing each other around. They kept running past me and looking my way as they passed by, like they were showing off or something. I was getting close to a sink hole made by the runnoff pipes buried under the sand. The holes were about 5 ft. across X 3 ft. deep. The dobie was making another pass by me, looking my way, with a big ol "LOOK AT ME" doggie grin on his face. He ran right smack into one of the holes. He was moving right along as he went into the hole. He turned to look where he was going just in time for his face to bury itself in the wet beach sand near the bottom of the hole. As he came to an abrupt halt, his whole back half lifted up out of the hole. At that instant, I thought the poor dog had broken his neck. As his butt dropped back down, his head popped up. He turned to look at me with those big eyes and I started laughing because his face was covered with wet sand and his nostrills were packed solid. He got right out of the hole, went right to the water and stuck his whole head in, swishing it around and finishing with a few good sneezes. He regained his composure, but at that point I swear that he was actually embarassed by what he had just done. He was no longer in a playful mood and simply walked by me with his head held high
and I never saw him again.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I constantly have to beat the love-starved young ladies off with a stick, but other than that, I'm OK. :D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you asked a 5150 ran at me and my cousin yelling bloody murder. The only thing i could do is push my cousin in his path so wouldnt get hurt. Just Kidding :D We both jumped in the truck and took off. :o...aa

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry this way is more better 51-50.Is an unstable person used by some police dept.s on the radio...aa

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
This is a little off topic but funny . I used to work on a construction crew . There was five of us
that worked together on the crew . All of us were young , mid twentys , except one older guy &
he was probably fifty'ish . One day while we were taking a break , we got to joking around and
telling stories . This older fellow got to telling us about how him & some off his friends used to
devil the neighbors ram , sheep . He said they would get in the field with the ram & the ram was
pretty fiesty & would chase them . There was a creek in the field & after they got the ram good &
stirred up they would sneak down the creek bed staying below the creek bank . When they got
out in the field near the ram they would stand up & holler & wave their arms to get the ram to
charge them .
When the ram got close they would duck down behind the creek bank . Well , one day they were
doing this & it was this old fellows turn to get the ram to charge him . He stood up & waved his arms
& hollered till the ram charged . When the ram got close he ducked down & when he did he ran a
grass straw or twig or something up his nose . Naturally he bounced right back up & the ram
dead centered his face . Knocked him slam out & broke his nose . Needless to say he didn't try
that again .

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
Jeffro said:
I constantly have to beat the love-starved young ladies off with a stick, but other than that, I'm OK. :D
dude that happens to me so much i dont even bother posting it. :P

S

stefen

aa battery said:
sorry this way is more better 51-50.Is an unstable person used by some police dept.s on the radio...aa

A 51-50 is also a term used when the police determine that a person needs to be held on a 72 hour observation stint in a psyc ward.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I haven't had anything chase me yet, but about a week ago I was hunting at an old house by myself. I peeked inside and saw a dead coyote. Gave me the the creeps. I went back into the yard and started MD'ing. I was near some tall grass when a cat jumped out in front of me. The cat went one way and me the other.....I was screaming at the top of my lungs. I felt like a fool and sure was glad I was alone! 8)

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Oh yeah!!! The first time I was down digging a hole.. heard this "thump thump thump" I'm looking at the road a 100 yards away thinking is a truck tire.. when I glance over my shoulder and see two steer just hauling a$$ towards me... I was pretty close to the fence and went over it.. detector and all!! When I talked to the land owner a few days later.. he said they had.. well.. just lost their chance at being bulls and were a little fired up!!! I once left my day pack in the middle of an empty field.. went and hunted a lower section along the river and came back to about a 100 cows and big bull!!! I pooped and snooped along the field.. using cows for cover until I got close but he smelled me I guess and got really riled up.. snorting and stomping around.. but the best (or worst!) was, after just listening to a guy tell me about the 3 bear he spotted at one of my favorite old house sites.. I was hunting on a windy day.. a little nervous.. but not too bad when this ungodly crash and thump sounded right behind me.. I spun around.. and caught a stick right in my eye.. poked it pretty hard.. I went down.. could not see crap and all I could think was Momma Bear!!! It turned out to be just a big branch that fell.. but I ended up have to go to the Drs to have bits of that stick removed form my eye.. way down under the lid.. so.. I was "chased" by a branch that did more damage to me then anything else!! Actually, the best.. was an angry squirrel.. funny as anything.. kept running up an old stacked stone wall at me.. barking.. puffing up his tail.. would get about 5 feet from me.. and the run back.. did it a bunch of times.. so hmm.. I guess I was chased by a Squirrel.. ;-) but he had great big fangs... bite ur head off!!

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
well this happened while artifact hunting.beach is full of trees that have fallen off the sandy bluffs.you got to payattention to the ground closely to see any flint.well i wasent looking ahead stepped around a tree and felt something hit my foot.needless to say i jumped back and there was an 8ft gator hissing at me.they mostly run straight for the water but it was cold so he just held his ground.then i went on my mary way in my brown stained undies,lol.

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
Didn't get chased but had a guy get right in my face once at the beach calling me a scavenger and other not so nice things. Put the detector down and was ready to defend myself when he backed down. Later after he left I searched the area where he had his towel and found a six pac of beer buried in the sand. Tasted good after a long hunt.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80's when I was stationed at Comiso Air Station, I decided to do a night hunt at the Club Med beach. The property had a main gate to enter by, but if you approached from the coast, there was no fence. So I stayed with an AF friend in his apartment in Scoglitti one evening and set out alone. I had a head lamp, GI shovel and Garret AT3. I walked along Scoglitti Beach until I reached a trail that lead up a cliffline. The trail ran along an archeological site fence. To my left was the fence, to my right was a 100' cliff. I followed the trail for 1/4 mile or so until I descended to the Club Med beach. The moon was out bright and the wind was really blowing. I was kind of scared but figured I just had to try to detect this beach. I was on the beach and could see all of the Club Med facilities. I started detecting and my glasses kept getting obscured by the sea breeze. Suddenly all of the overhead lights came on between me and the facilities. I found just a few small pieces of junk, but could hardly see because of the seaspray on my glasses. I decided to get the heck out of there. I did not want to go back the way I came, over the trail and cliff, so I just started walking over dunes heading inland toward the main road on the outside of the Club grounds. As I passed over the dunes, I was looking over my shoulder and saw someone duck behind a sand dune. Man I was scared, and walked faster to a road that was lit by soft lights, heading toward the main gate. I could see the resort buildings to my right. I grasped my shovel so I could defend myself if jumped by the person that I saw duck behind the dune. Then I saw a moped driving toward me and the person on it had a uniform on, security. He motioned for me to get on and pointed at my detector, waving his finger like, "no,no". We stopped at the guard shack and he motioned for me to enter. He did not speak english, was German or something. He had me sit and pointed at the wall at some flyer, and then at my detector, indicating that it was prohibited. I sat a while after he indicated in a few broken english words that someone was coming. A volkswagon pulled up with several planeclothes guys with guns. They looked through my goodies back, which just had a couple pieces of junk in it. Again, indicated it was prohibited. They then let me go. In fact, the guard himself gave me a ride back to Scoglitti and to my friend's pad.

Ends up that I left my headlamp in the guys car. Move ahead about 4 months to the winter months when Club Med is deserted during off season. My buddy Mark and I decided to go back to the main gate of Club Med and see if they had my headlamp. One guard was there and he spoke some english. Ends up that he is the only one at the Club Med for several months of time as the place is closed. He is the sole caretaker. We spoke with him for a while about what had happened to me, and how I left my headlamp. He said it was a diff guard and that he did not have it. He became interested in our detector though. Longer story short, welcomed us in to detect the beach, even and area of the archeological site that butts up to the Club property! He allowed us in for cookies and wine. Unfortunately, we did not find anything great, but what an adventure. Oh, the person who hid behind the dune was a guard investigating me. Whew, long story but I hope it was enjoyable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread