Tinytec Ultraluxe pinpointer

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I have one too, nice sturdy pinpointer, I just don't use it anymore now that I have my sunray probe.
HH,
Donny

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ditch it. Get a Sunray in-line probe instead. Why have a detached gizmo you have to carry and fiddle with, that is so weak that you practically have to be touching the target before it beeps? With an in-line Sunray probe, youre depth is 2 to 3", sound comes through your headphones, and it clips quick and easy to your shaft when not in use.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I'm a little confused about inline probes that will detect an object 3 to 4 inches away . I don't
have any problem pinpointing in the center of my detector coil . Now , seeing that dirty coin in
the side of my hole , in my plug or in the loose dirt in the bottom of my hole can be a problem .
If a pinpointer picked up an object 3 or 4 inches away I still wouldn't know if the object was in
the edge of the hole or the loose dirt at the bottom of the hole or 3 or 4 inches in what direction .
Someone educate me about this . Thanks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hillbilly, yes, if a probe were TOO sensitive, then you couldn't tell which direction the signal was coming from. Part of the problem is that your saying the inline probes get 3" to 4". That's an exaggeration, for starters. It's more like 2" to 3" on a coin-sized object. But in any case, you learn quickly to POINT the thing in such a way, wiggle it all around your hole, and immediately tell which direction the signal is coming from, based on strength of signal, where it get strongest in the direction you point from (so that only the tip is contacting the sides of the hole). Yes, when you first get it, you'll be fooled a few times because you get signals from objects brushing the sides of your probe (stuck to the side of a hole, making you think you have to dig deeper, merely 'cuz your probe keeps getting a beep). But with a few practice holes, you'll get that licked in no time, and know to hold and wiggle it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the main reason i don't get an in line probe is because of the added weight. my explorer is already heavy and the idea of adding even more weight to it doesn't appeal to me. i guess i will still lug around a separate probe.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Hillbilly, yes, if a probe were TOO sensitive, then you couldn't tell which direction the signal was coming from. Part of the problem is that your saying the inline probes get 3" to 4". That's an exaggeration, for starters. It's more like 2" to 3" on a coin-sized object. But in any case, you learn quickly to POINT the thing in such a way, wiggle it all around your hole, and immediately tell which direction the signal is coming from, based on strength of signal, where it get strongest in the direction you point from (so that only the tip is contacting the sides of the hole). Yes, when you first get it, you'll be fooled a few times because you get signals from objects brushing the sides of your probe (stuck to the side of a hole, making you think you have to dig deeper, merely 'cuz your probe keeps getting a beep). But with a few practice holes, you'll get that licked in no time, and know to hold and wiggle it.

Tom has a good point. . . there have been many times when I wished I had that extra inch-or-two (no pun ::)) that an in-line probe has. With the probe I'm using now, I have to be within 3/4" of my target. . . which works great when your target is in a pile of wet mud on a ground-cloth but, if the target is still in the hole, it can be much more time-consuming to find. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
J

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hillbilly, I don't know what type of detector you are using, however, with my MXT and the DX-1 probe I can hold the pinpoint trigger on the machine to desensitize the tip. This helps tremendously, otherwise I was having trouble figuring out where the item was. Clicking the trigger a couple of times and holding it in really reduces the probes, 'power' and makes it much, much easier to pinpoint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread