Copper Scrolls

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Hi Everyone:

I got a kick out of this site...I am a dedicated MD and I really enjoy the hobby. As I was just goofing around I came to this particular area and just could not add something to it...I then remembered the cryptic information on the following...I hope you all have fun reading it and I have had the pleasure of actualing seeing it!!!

P.S. I learned that sometimes people employed illiterate scribes to put information down. Also, found out if you wanted to stash a map then this would be a unique way to do it. ;D

The Copper Scroll (3Q15)

"In the fortress which is in the Vale of Achor, forty cubits under the steps entering to the east: a money chest and it [sic] contents, of a weight of seventeen talents." So begins the first column of the Copper Scroll, one of the most intriguing, and baffling, scrolls to be found among the collection known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Sounding like something out of an Indiana Jones movie, the text of the Copper Scroll (3Q15) describes vast amounts of buried treasure.
Click the image to view an enhanced version.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was found in 1952 in Cave 3 at Khirbet Qumran on the shores of the Dead Sea, one of the few scrolls to be discovered in the place where it had lain for nearly 2,000 years. Most of what are called the "Dead Sea Scrolls" were found by Bedouin and sold through antiquities dealers, but this one was actually discovered by archaeologists--a rare occasion during those years. In ancient times the text of the document had been incised on thin sheets of copper which were then joined together. At the time it was found, however, the document was rolled into two separate scrolls of heavily oxidized copper which was far too brittle to unroll. For five years scholars and experts discussed ways of opening the scroll. Finally, they decided to cut the scroll into sections from the outside using a small saw. Working very carefully they cut the scroll into 23 strips, each one curved into a half-cylinder. Before it was cut, one scholar thought he saw words for silver and gold and suggested that the scroll was a list of buried treasure. Sure enough, when it was deciphered that scholar turned out to be right!

What about all that treasure? What is it? Has anyone found it? The answer to the last question is, no, at least that they are telling.

The treasure described in the Copper Scroll consists of vast quantities of gold and silver, as well as many coins and vessels. It is difficult to assess the value of what is described, since we are not sure what the weights in the scroll are actually equivalent to, but it was estimated in 1960 that the total would top $1,000,000 U.S.

With this great treasure list, you may ask, why isn't everyone out looking for the treasure? (And why hasn't Stephen Spielberg made a movie out of it?) The truth is, some people are looking for it, but it is not all that easy. To begin with, we do not know what all the words in the text mean. The text is in Hebrew, which is certainly a known language, but most ancient Hebrew texts that we have are religious in nature, and the Copper Scroll is anything but religious. Most of its vocabulary is simply not found in the Bible or anything else we have from ancient times.

Not only is the vocabulary of the scroll very technical, some of the geographical locations are unknown after so many years, many are too specific and some refer to places that no longer exist. Take some of the following examples:

"In the gutter which is in the bottom of the (rain-water) tank..."

"In the Second Enclosure, in the underground passage that looks east..."

"In the water conduit of [...] the north[ern] reservoir..."

There are those who have suggested that the treasure never actually existed, that the Copper Scroll is simply a work of fiction. Even if the treasure did exist, we do not know where it came from or who it belonged to. Some believe the scrolls refer to Temple treasure, hidden for safekeeping before the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple in 70 C.E. Others believe the treasure belonged to the sect that lived at Qumran, a sect usually identified with the Essenes, a Jewish group mentioned in the work of the Jewish historian Josephus, who wrote in the 1st century C.E. However, these are just educated guesses. Who the treasure belonged to, and what happened to it, we may never know.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D Well, it MAY be what the Knight Templars found under the ruins of The Temple; they became VERY wealthy, you know. "Google" KNIGHT TEMPLARS EXCAVATION OF KING SOLOMON'S TEMPLE... SOMETHING was found in the stables area; K.T. LATER, became VERY WELL KNOWN as "INTERNA-
TIONAL BANKERS", wealthier than the KINGS/QUEENS of Europe, and ALL the POPES' Mens. They were a "law-on-their-own", and MAY have founded Switzerland, AND /OR... sailed to the USA, AFTER fleeing to SCOTLAND... HA! Who knows? ??? ;) :D

OP
OP
Southern_Boy

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Well, I do agree about the Knight Templars. They were a powerful organization and did not leave the Holy Land without a fight. If I remember my history correctly, they were the last to leave? Had a small Island fortress for a while but that too was lost. Then they were wiped out in France The King and The Church did not like too much how powerful they were.

Its just when I found this section I could not resist bringing too light information on the copper scrolls. I really believe that all legends are based in some truth, at this point I guess we will never know.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D Well... Not ALL were "wiped out"... they had friends in Scotland, & SOME fled to other countries; keeping it to the COPPER SCROLL... wikipedia had WONDERFUL "bit" @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_Scroll ;) You can also "google" COPPER SCROLL, and get LOTS of "hits". This web-site has WONDERFUL "bit" in TREASURE LEGENDS section... see "Thread": WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO THE WEALTH OF KNIGHTS TEMPLAR. ;) ;D

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wouldn't copper be kinda hard to unroll? I mean, it's metal and all...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D Probably... the "pros" were able to do it; it is in the "links"/resources provided... FACINATING story! ALSO read that the "list" MAY be related to an Egyptian King, with the treasures buried around the Valley of Kings area, near the GREAT PYRAMID, and the NAZI/German Gov't had LOTS of Archeologists digging around in THAT area @ WWII era... sounds like Indiana Jones, doesn't it? HA!! MAYBE, "they" WERE looking for the Ark AND "the loot"... DUNNO. ??? :D ;)

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in deer camp a few years ago when the conversation turned to treasure hunting.....One of the guest was from Douglas (Booger) county, Missouri....He stated that he and his cousin had found a Copper scroll map in a cave.....The map was also concealed in a copper tube and sealed with wax .....I tried to get more information but didn't have any luck....Steve

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Copper is highly maleable and easy to bend in sheets. However in this case they were too thin due to years of corrosion. So they were cut open rather than unrolled in a damage control effort.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw something recently on TV about that copper scroll. One of the treasures mentioned which has not been found, is a master copper scroll that gives a complete inventory of all the treasures. Don't forget about King Solomon and all his gold. He was supposed to be the wisest and wealthiest king that ever lived, had over 1,000 wives. King David wanted to build the temple, but Solomon his son did instead. It is believed a great cache of Solomon's gold is hidden somewhere.

The Romans may have recovered a lot of these caches by forcing the Jews to tell at sword point. Obviously the big cache of Solomon's gold never has been found. Some of the gold treasures mentioned in the scroll are ceremonial vessels that were made for the temple.

There is one king of Babylon who must of had more gold than king Solomon, but certainly not wise as him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread