Buying and selling coins

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
I was talking to my grandma today, and she decided to sell my grandpas coin collection. She asked me to ask around and see where the best place would be to sell, she doesn't want any of her kids to do it because, well, I was the one who was closest to my grandpa. He got me into lapidary (gem cutting) coin collection, classical music and opera, etc. I know know what he has in his collection exactly, and I'm not sure I can get pics of the coins anytime soon, but my uncle (not my grandmas son, her daughters husband) told me he saw.

Nickels of all sorts, Shield, Liberty, Buffalo, and Jeffersons.
Half Dimes of various years and conditions, late 1700's to 1870's.
Dimes all of sorts, early, Liberty, Mercury, Barber, etc.
Early quarters, seated/standing Liberty's, Barber and Washingtons
Half Dollars, walking/seated Liberty's, Barber half dollars, Benjis and Kennedy's

My uncle also said there were rolls of all the more modern coins, pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, etc that looked to be in uncirculated condition. There were also a bunch of other ones, he didn't have a chance to take a look at everything, but he said he saw some gold coins in there.
Anyways, where would you guys sell this kind of collection? My grandma told me she isn't worried about it all staying together, its just time for her to move on she told me. What do you guys think?

nsimeone2000

Jan 12, 2008
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I would recommend www.ha.com, you could sell them on eBay, but unless they are graded, you won't get enough money for them, with Heritage Auctions, you have a pretty good chance of getting the actual value of the coin, plus Heritage Auctions also has a lot of affluent people attending their auctions.

I would basically find the most valuable coins, get them slabbed and the reps at Heritage Auctions will help you every step of the way.

OP
OP
T

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
Something I should have mentioned, is that a lot of them are graded/slabbed. What do you think about selling on ebay once I know the true value of them? I mean, rare coins probably aren't the most common on there, but I'm wondering if it'd drive the price up a bit over worth, with having a bunch of people bidding.

nsimeone2000

Jan 12, 2008
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You will get way more money through heritage auctions if they are slabbed. Especially if you have rare coins, go to www.ha.com and search for coin values for beginners, if you also set up a mycollection, you can see the value of the coins with the proper grade. But I must warn you if the coins aren't graded by NGC or PCGS, most collectors won't buy them. With Heritage Auctions they have a Live Auction on eBay as well as Floor Bidders at their auction sites.

So you actually get traditional with internet bidders. I have seen good coins go through there for 5 times more than I would pay for them on eBay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread