Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

View Poll Results: Vote who's your favorite??

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bounty Hunter

9 7.76%
  • Fisher

8 6.90%
  • Garrett

18 15.52%
  • Minelab

31 26.72%
  • Nautilus

1 0.86%
  • Teknetics

2 1.72%
  • Tesoro

15 12.93%
  • Whites

32 27.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who's your favorite??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2006
    Waconia, Minnesota
    Minelab X-Terra 70, Garrett - Ace 350, Bounty Hunter - Quick Silver
    Been a few years since I've seen this. Anything changed or to add to this poll?

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth
    V3i, Etrac, AT Pro, F2, T2, Xterra 705
    199 times
    Metal Detecting
    I voted Minelab as my favorite....

In the 9 months I have detected I have owned:
    Minelab Xterra 705 and Etrac
    Fisher F2
    Garrett AT Pro
    Teknetics T2...
    and have tried out a few friend's detectors such as:
    White's M6
    Tesoro Vaquero
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (still trying to get my friend Laurie on here)

I just think Minelab is my favorite because all the detector companies seem to have great customer service, REALIZING that if they didn't, they'd be trashed online, the forums, and through word of mouth, and that speaks a lot for people looking for their first detector... or trying a new detector... from a never-bought-from-manufacturer.
    Minelab just seems to be moving faster with the R&D and new-tech compared to other companies/manufacturers. The X-Terra line... changing frequencies when you change your coil as an example. I joked about 6 months ago about having GPS involved with a detector when someone posted a 'what is your wish list for a new detector?', and Minelab did it. I also own an AT Pro as a back up to my ETrac and spouted off many times 'I wish other companies made a basic water proof machine besides Garrett!' and Minelab did it with the CTX 3030 soon. I am 43 and in that generation that got to own an Atari 2600, cassette player, and had a cell phone with a battery bag, etc.... but also am appreciating the current techs like smartphones, PS3, Ipods, and online gaming, etc... I love when a company spends on R&D tech instead of trying to milk every dollar on old tech over and over.... just my honest opinion, and why Minelab is my favorite...

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth
    V3i, Etrac, AT Pro, F2, T2, Xterra 705
    199 times
    Metal Detecting
    oh yeah... and my next detector?..... I gotta get a White's V3i to go with my Etrac and AT Pro! before dropping the $$$ on the CTX 3030 after that....

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    131 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Only eight manufacturers listed out of 60+ brands and Bounty Hunter/Teknetics/Fisher are the same company.

us
    Dec 2006
    Waconia, Minnesota
    Think listing all the brands would cause some issues on here. There is a limit to the amount of items you can post on the poll plus people on the net now a days have a form of online ADHD, they want quick easy references and so I listed what I believed to be the most popular. Sorry I couldn't list them all.

As to the Bounty Hunter/Teknetics/Fisher, that's news to me. I apologize because I see them listed as separate companies when doing my own research. It sounds similar to what I recently found out about Trek bikes. The vast majority are made by Giant all but their very top end bikes are made by Trek themselves at their Wisconsin location.

They have their own web pages and claim to have their own individual origins. I notice they are part of the First Texas Products and share the same address. But since they claim their own individuality and Google earth shows it to be a pretty big complex I'll leave them separate on here.

Interesting info though, thanks.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting
    Viddy, You've only owned five machines in 9 months...whats wrong with you. Most of us are usually up to 10 to 12 by the 9 month mark. I guess it takes all kinds...

NJ

ca
    Sep 2011
    Ottawa
    AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    3 times
    This poll should have a "Don't Care" option. I'm a brand agnostic when it comes to nearly any purchase. When it came time to upgrade from my Tesoro Compadre, I sat down and listed the qualities of my ideal detector: DD-coil, rechargeable battery pack, <$600, etc. No machine fulfilled all of the requirements so I went with the best option available.

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    131 times
    Brand loyalty is one way to guarantee your not doing as well as you could. Most brands have one or two excellent machines and a few they should not have bothered with. The "Graddick" test is the way people should go. Decide what you need then try all brand models that come nearest to your requirements.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting
    U.K Brian...I don't think you have enough machines either...lol. I do agree with you though. I have one brand I like for my land hunting and another for my water hunting.

HH

NJ

us
    Dec 2006
    Waconia, Minnesota
    Any updates?

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2108 times
    I started with a Whites in the 70s and have owned many brands. I am now using a 13 year old XLT by Whites as my general purpose detector. On the beach, I use a Whites surfmaster PI, also 13 years old. For cache hunting, I use a second hand Hays 2 Box. All of these detectors are very competitive today. They each do the job they were designed to do and none have been repaired. The thing is, the longer you use a detector, the better you get with it. Frank...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruby gold ring 800.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	924179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coins_0003 T 5 peso_edited-2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	924180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold cross chain.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	924181
    squiggy likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    CincinnatiKid

Nov 2013
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Tesoro Cortez, AT-Pro, GTI-2500, Garrett ProPointer, Fisher F-70, E-Track
    245 times
    My favorite is the machine that gives best results. Each diggin' outing is different, as are machines. Each apply. I am a relative "newbie". I started metal detecting twice. First in the early 90s. In 2009, I returned full force. Since 2009, I've used Tesoro, Garrett and Fischer. (Recently a Fisher F-70). All have exceeded expectations!
    I want a Minelab, I think? Probably a 3030? Cost is an issue, but after 2yrs, I still hear/view problems w the 3030 being submersed.
    Great thread litlwolf2!
    Peace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors