Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would appreciate any thoughts on this old grist mill that I found from the words of an old-timer. Please see the diagram. There are no signs of this mill save a few rocks that lead to a small island and on the opposite side, some submerged timbers that are about the size of RR ties. There are some oval holes in portions of these timbers and they actually go into the sediment on the upstream side. I have searched the area about 7 times. There is virtually no junk whatsoever, a miracle. You can see that the coins have been on the north side of the creek, above the washout B. There is a mound about 6 feet wide and 100 feet long that runs north, perpendicular to the creek. I have no idea what this may have been. The Barber coins, a 1900 dime and 1899 quarter were in the same hole, about 15 feet from the hoe head. The Lg Cent was 20'from the mound toward the northernmost end of the mound. The 1853 half dime was SE of the Lg Cent about 50'. The area is heavily wooded. I detected the southern side above the washout A with not a single find. The washout area A also gave up zero. I would guess that the mill wheel probably stood above the timbers and the building if there was one, stood there also. I can find no remnants of anything there at all. Everything I have found is on the diagram. There is no remnants of any roads that I can see that led to the mill, though the old man said it came from the north. I don't know how mills were built back then, but it is buggin the heck out of me why I can't find a concentration of anything in one area, particularly the area near the timbers. I even searched the 30' X 20' island with no finds. Does anyone have any suggestions or input from their own experience that could give me a clue as to how this place may have looked back in the day? What is the significance of the 100' long mound that is about 6' wide and 4' tall? I have searched the library and they have no more info than mentioning the mill's name and approx location. Thanks for any thoughts. Bryan

Attachments

• old mill diagram.JPG
    old mill diagram.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 109

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread