Coin Cleaning Tests Wich one works the best for bulk cleaning.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have decided to try some different ways to clean coins in bulk
here is a pic of some of the coins and tokens to be used in the test.
if you have an Ideah or way you clean coins please post it.

Togather we can figure out the best way to clean coins.
Thanks Ima

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 510
OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
test one
tumbling them in a tumbler with the fallowing

test 1 dry beach sand in the tumbler
test 2 rice hull in the tumbler
ill post the fallow up in a few days.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 4-1/2 years of retirement and metal detecting, I had over 80 pounds of clad coins. When the bank counted them, but wouldn't take them, even though they were washed and dried, I put them in a cement mixer. Being sure to keep the pennies as a batch and clad silver as second batch. The magic formula that finally worked was that the cement mixer was filled with a #50 bag of sandbox sand from Home Depot, 5-gallons of water, and a small sample box of Cheer laundry soap. Two hours of tumbling got all the coins looking shiny and "new" looking. Rinsing the coins with clear water, I scattered them over 3 kingsize cotton sheets, and being sure that the coins don't touch each other. If they touch when they're wet, the touch points turn back to BLACK....

The second visit to the bank's lobby coin counter got them counted and accepted. When the cashier asked if I wanted to deposit the amount, I politely said, "NO, I'll take $849.20 in cash, please."

Bill

Attachments

• 0983163-R1-029-13.jpg
    0983163-R1-029-13.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 619

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bill,

It looks like yout doing quite well with your retirement! :)

I just rince mine to get the surface dirt off and then take them to the bank and drop them in the coin counter (free to customers). It makes a whole lot of racket but it counts them and then spits out a recipt which I take to the counter and have the teller put that amount in my account, it works great!!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Great idea Ima! I am still in awe of Bill's post! Wow!! Thanks for sharing and ummmm hope you leave some coins for the rest of us! lol I love your response to the bank! rofl

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I don't know about 80 lbs , but I bought a rock tumbler from harbour freight for $ 29.99 or thereabouts . I also use Ant's formula . I'd have to go back & check my notes to be sure , but I think
it is something like this & pennies are tumbled seperate from clad . 1 large handful of coins , 1 large
handful of pool sand , 2 large handfulls of aquarium gravel , 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid & 1
teaspoon of ammonia . after putting all this in the tumbler you add enough water to cover everything .
I usually let the tumbler run for two hours & the coins come out nice & clean . I have my tumbler
running through a timer so I don't have to remember when to turn it off . After I bought the tumbler
I saw harbour freight run a sale on the same one for & 19.99 . Mine is a 3 lb tumbler with one barrel ,
You can also buy one with two barrels for $ 10.00 more & clean twice as much at one time .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions