Need your recommendation from Newbie, Hong Kong

chungkokyan

Greenie
Feb 26, 2008
I am in Hong Kong. I went through your and some MD manufacturers columns. Metal detecting attracts me rather than fishing.

Hong Kong is a modern urban city without a lot of old stuffs in the ground.
We have beaches in Hong Kong. However, our government cleaners are efficient and well equipped with those tractors to clean up all rubbish. There are not many places can be hunted.
We do have some beaches without cleaners.

My intention is to buy a detector for beach ( land only not to the waterline). Target is rings or bracelets. Chinese girls has a lot of gold/silver rings.
We also have some parks with short grass covered.

What is your opinion that I should start with US$200 one to try if my interest can keep me go or just buy a US$1000 powerful one to search ? My point is whether US$200 machine can detect golden ring or not. I do not mind to dig out bottle caps or pull tab.
US$200 machine I will treat it as a toy for my 11yrs old son if I do not have interest. He will use it. Then, I can afford US$1000 even if I just detect several times and keep the machine with dust. but it seems that US$1000 machine is not so easy to be used by a kid.

would like to have your input.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Chung,

Hong Kong, what a beautiful city, I have been there a few times, one of my most favorite cities on the the planet!! :)

(tigarbalm park, Caloon bay, Jumbo's floating resturant, star ferry, the Kangaroo Pub, the bull and the bear, I could go on and on)

Anyway, welcome to TNet its always great to have international members here!!

If your looking for a detector that is simple and easy to use, I have a number of suggestions

Tesoro Silver uMax ($240)
Garrett Ace 250 ($212)
Fisher F2 ($200)
White's Prizm II ($200)

If I had to choose between these, it would be a hard decision, they are all very capable machines that will find treasure, and have. Now if your looking to speand that $1000 (US) on a machine then that opens up a whole new level of detectors for you. Remember that any detector that you purchase, you have to use it often so that you get to know it, once you do that you will find treasure!

Good luck on your search and remember you can always come to TNet with questions, some of the smartest people in the hobbie anywhere come here to post so you are in good hands

HH

PTP

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
chungkokyan,

I have detected in Hong Kong and done quite well with jewelry items. In fact I hunted just outside Tigerbalm Park that Pull-Tab Parson mentioned. Lots of places to hunt there. My humble opinion is that you start with a good name brand basic detector before you spend a lot of money. Joe

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I may be partial to the ACE250, but I always recommend that if you are new to the hobby, to try the ACE250. Once you get a feel for how many hours you will put into the hobby, you may want to upgrade.

The only thing is - the ACE250 is a great machine, and definitely finds gold, but it is not in the 'toy category'. However, if you decided to upgrade, it would be a great machine for a young teenager. The ACE gets very good depth in the dry sand, but it does have to stay out of the salt water.

The ACE is easy to use, lightweight and will find the jewelry and coins you are looking for.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Welcome to T N . It's great to have people from other countries . I'll leave it to other people to make
suggestions on which detector to buy . If it was me I think I would start out with one of the well liked
lower priced detectors . Some of them are about as good as the high priced ones . Mostly just less bells
& whistles . Good luck with whatever you choose & let us know what you find .

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, I would say the best in the beginner category would be the Ace 250

HH
-GC

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Welcome to the forum Chung! I agree with the detectors listed already. My wife has an F2 and loves it. I am sure you will find that the one you buy is the right one for you. Good luck to you and have fun!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ask the CRACKBADGER for advice on what would be best choice for your location. He is near...
rmptr

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Welcome. For that price range you can't go wrong with a Minelab GT it will take you pass the water line.but not water proof.
If you have those beach cleaners you want to hunt between the high and lower tide lines anyway.

I don't think those beach cleaners can pick up jeweley.
RD

OP
OP
C

chungkokyan

Greenie
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks all of you.
I think I will buy a US$200 machine and try first.
My son will definitely be interested in this hobby. He likes to get things without paying money-- e.g. fishing.... ;D ;D

OP
OP
C

chungkokyan

Greenie
Feb 26, 2008
Pull-tab Parson said:
Hong Kong, what a beautiful city, I have been there a few times, one of my most favorite cities on the the planet!! :)

(tigarbalm park, Caloon bay, Jumbo's floating resturant, star ferry, the Kangaroo Pub, the bull and the bear, I could go on and on)

PTP

You also like drinking beer !! I know all those pubs....
thanks for your comment.

OP
OP
C

chungkokyan

Greenie
Feb 26, 2008
JOE(USA) said:
chungkokyan,

I have detected in Hong Kong and done quite well with jewelry items. In fact I hunted just outside Tigerbalm Park that Pull-Tab Parson mentioned. Lots of places to hunt there. My humble opinion is that you start with a good name brand basic detector before you spend a lot of money. Joe

Tigerbalm in Hong Kong should have been closed and re-build as high rise apartment. Some parts of the garden will be kept.

OP
OP
C

chungkokyan

Greenie
Feb 26, 2008
rmptr said:
Ask the CRACKBADGER for advice on what would be best choice for your location. He is near...
rmptr

I ammm new comer and cannot see or reach CRACKBADGER's post.....as I am not a honor member at all.
I am willing to learn.....

OP
OP
C

chungkokyan

Greenie
Feb 26, 2008
hihi,

I am now ebaying on a used ACE 250. ;D ;D
That may be a start for me or my son
I will buy a new one on ebay if I fail on this.
Thanks for your input !!!!!

I am too eager to have a machine to start !!!!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chungkokyan said:
Pull-tab Parson said:

PTP

You also like drinking beer !! I know all those pubs....
thanks for your comment.

I actually did see other parts of Hong Kong too, but I must confess, I did enjoy the pubs ;D .

Have a great time hunting and be sure to take pictures and post them with your finds, we all just love pictures !! ;D :D ;)

Good luck and happy hunting

Pull-tab Parson

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread