Trees

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years ago, the American Forestry Association did a study on trees and their lifespans. They said that the average life expectancy for a tree (oaks, maples, etc.) in a rural, undisturbed site was about 150 years. The same tree, in the best city location, had an average life expectancy of only 60 years. The average lifespan for the same tree in an urban, downtown area was only 13 years.
http://www.ces.purdue.edu/vanderburgh/horticulture/extnotes/2001/ageoftrees.htm

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Wow...Thanks, I guess there should be some good stuff buried next to a bristlecone pine.
RD

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
interesting! thanks for sharing that with us.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
My best find to date, 1861 Seated Liberty Half Dime, was found at the very base of a big pine tree in the middle of a small park at a dam. I'm 6' tall and it took me 4 double arm stretches to reach around it.
The coin was less than 1" deep, barely covered with mostly needles touching the trunk. I bet the tree "dug up" the coin as it grew. ???

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
There's a pear tree on my friend's farm that's about 110+ years old. In the pasture, which 100 years or so ago was in the yard. It still bears fruit.

Live oak trees in Louisiana live several hundred years and grow tremendously huge. Check out Oak Alley Plantation for pictures.

I have an oak tree (not sure what kind of oak, but not live oak) on my land that is well over 100 years old, with barbed wire embedded in it from when my grandfather ran fencing in roughly 1915. And the wire is embedded not too far in.

Also have a cypress tree that's about 15 feet around with barbed wire embedded in it also, very shallow. We figure it's about 300 years old, if not 2,000. It's a huge thing that some have said was around about the time of Christ. I personally don't know. But they are very slow growers and live for centuries, literally.

OP
OP
cival war hunter 2 !

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007
People that beleve in god say the earth is only 4,000 years old and that pine tree i was talking about is, i think, 5,000 to 7,000 years of age.

Noodle said:
There's a pear tree on my friend's farm that's about 110+ years old. In the pasture, which 100 years or so ago was in the yard. It still bears fruit.

Live oak trees in Louisiana live several hundred years and grow tremendously huge. Check out Oak Alley Plantation for pictures.

I have an oak tree (not sure what kind of oak, but not live oak) on my land that is well over 100 years old, with barbed wire embedded in it from when my grandfather ran fencing in roughly 1915. And the wire is embedded not too far in.

Also have a cypress tree that's about 15 feet around with barbed wire embedded in it also, very shallow. We figure it's about 300 years old, if not 2,000. It's a huge thing that some have said was around about the time of Christ. I personally don't know. But they are very slow growers and live for centuries, literally.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
radarwill said:
My best find to date, 1861 Seated Liberty Half Dime, was found at the very base of a big pine tree in the middle of a small park at a dam. I'm 6' tall and it took me 4 double arm stretches to reach around it.
The coin was less than 1" deep, barely covered with mostly needles touching the trunk. I bet the tree "dug up" the coin as it grew. ???

Now that's... what i'm talking about.Cool story!!!!
makes me want to run out and find a giant tree.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wvdrummer said:
People that beleve in god say the earth is only 4,000 years old and that pine tree i was talking about is, i think, 5,000 to 7,000 years of age.

Don't confuse "people who believe in God" with fundamentalists who take the Bible literally. Christians are like trees: they come in many, many varieties. I believe in God and evolution. How can both be true? Because we don't have all the answers yet . . . maybe we never will. He has the answers, not me, so I let Him worry about it. ;-) There will be only two questions on the test (Hint on question #2 - the Devil believes in God so that doesn't cut it). Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible a LONG time after the events. Weren't no one taking dictation at the time.

That tree's age is nothing. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second in space and we can now see objects more than 10 billion light years away. Get out your calculator and figure how old that light is (how long it took to get to earth). (Hint - 10 billion years).

OP
OP
cival war hunter 2 !

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007
the bible was made 2,000 years ago, the book could have changed from then, but you never no, that's what were waiting for "proof".

Charlie P. (NY) said:
wvdrummer said:

Don't confuse "people who believe in God" with fundamentalists who take the Bible literally. Christians are like trees: they come in many, many varieties. I believe in God and evolution. How can both be true? Because we don't have all the answers yet . . . maybe we never will. He has the answers, not me, so I let Him worry about it. ;-) There will be only two questions on the test (Hint on question #2 - the Devil believes in God so that doesn't cut it). Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible a LONG time after the events. Weren't no one taking dictation at the time.

That tree's age is nothing. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second in space and we can now see objects more than 10 billion light years away. Get out your calculator and figure how old that light is (how long it took to get to earth). (Hint - 10 billion years).

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Charlie P. (NY) said:
wvdrummer said:

Charlie great word

WV the new testament started roughly 2000 years ago, the old testament is much much older.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, which documents were to make up the new Testament was "officially" decided on in 367AD (27 different documents brought together for the first time then). The first five books of the Old Testament are often attributed to Moses sometime around 1100BC. (But since they include the death of Moses there had to be multiple authors). The Bible is made up of dozens of books, documents and letters, in many languages, that were written at various times. Some manuscripts and texts were kept and some were not (that's a bit scary). It wasn't until 1382 that the first single language translation Bible was published (handwritten in Latin) pretty much in the form we now have, Gutenburg churned out the first type printed versions in the 1450's, and the first full English version wasn't published until 1535.

And, IMHO, that's why it's dangerous to take everything literally.

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
I just saw a story the other day on the bristlecone pine.
The tree being filmed was estimated to be 5,000 years old, and it is still a fertle mertle.

Ima

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie I'm glad to see someone else w/ the same view.

I am a tree hugger, specially when I find a good coin by it!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mamabear said:
Charlie I'm glad to see someone else w/ the same view.

I am a tree hugger, specially when I find a good coin by it!
I'm a tree hugger too mama!....Especially when it has a fresh scrape next to it within 30 yd's ;D ;D

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta it Charlie. Now, on the Bristlecone pine trees. I used to live in Bishop, Ca. which is located about 200 South of Reno, NV. Bishop is bordered by the Sierra Madres and the White Mt's. At around 9,000' on the White's there is a huge area covered by Bristlecone pine trees. They are huge and beautiful. Ironically, it is when they are dying and lose all their pine needles and the bare branches are exposed is when they are absolutely a sight to behold. Especially when it snows. By the way, they are protected and you can't even think of picking up a dead branch.

TeddyMexico

Greenie
Feb 25, 2008
Indianapolis
wvdrummer said:

Noodle said:

Your comment about people who believe in God is not accurate. I don't go to church, but I know many people who do. None of them think that the world is only 4,000 years old. I don't really want to get into a religious debate, but just an fyi there are many people who believe in all of the stuff you believe in (evolution, etc.) but they just believe that the original spark was supplied by a higher power. My mother for example is a christian and also a college professor who also believes in evolution. Evolution explains the how, not the why.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread