Is the Antietam area , in Maryland worth it? New to metal detecting..........

Maryland Ace

Feb 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Hi , my name is Brian and I am thinking about getting a metal detector... I live like 2 miles from the antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD. I own 2 acres , and I am surrounded by fields and fields that farmers use for hay and straw. I was just curious if it would be worth my time to hunt this area. I figured it would be big for civil war things, but just wanted a little insight if someone had some. I am pretty sure I could get permission to hunt the fields, my neighbors own 40 to 60 acres a piece. If anyone could give me info , I would apprieciate it.
Thanks......

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in all likelyhood, yes, maybe. Research the area. I have seen battle maps available on the internet. If all looks promising, give it a try. But make sure you stay off any national park service property while detecting. Removing artifacts from parks is now a felony....good luck

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Sounds like a great area to hunt. If ya need help, I'm not that far away. I could loan you a detector until you get one.

DM

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stay off federal and state lands. As long as you get permission on private land near or next to these areas go for it, invite a few friends if you want. Just be very sure of the boundaries and stay on your property.

Ed d.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is true, if you hunt where your not supose to be they will "cuff ya and stuff ya." That isn't the bad part, the bad part is that they take your detector and never give it back!! (so I have heard)

Good luck and Happy Hunting

PTP

dasdigger

Feb 1, 2008
frederick,md
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 & mxt 300
if you like diggin relics i say yes i got a couple spots near antienam, but i must warn you i lot of spots have been hunted out pretty good. but i still dig a bullet or two almost everytime wich is fine with me but you never know unless you try

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! Brian I hunted some places at Antietam it has been years ago one place was the farm beside the bloody corn field I think it was the Poffenberger farm during the Civil war I think it is the Cullier farm now unless it changed hands nice people would let you hunt if you ask permission I know the place has been hunted hard I was thinking about coming down in the spring when they plow to give it a try again I hunted a farm between Shepherdstown and Martinsburg where there was a calvary battle found alot of goodies there just get permission and stay off of the park I hope I was a little help it has been awhile since I have been down there I have a place in Waynesboro Pa. that has been hunted to death but I still manage to pull a few minnie balls out of and a ladys hat pin from the 1800's last fall good luck Bob

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brian,

There is still stuff in the ground, but as suggested, do your homework. There are places on the internet to get maps and official CW records for free. Get some names of officers in charge of operations in your area and search the official record for clues about where they were and where they went.

I have permission to hunt a couple of small battlefield sites in Virginia. Most have been hunted hard over the years but they almost always give up something. It is a great feeling to do the research and then find stuff that is right where you thought it should be.

Good luck,

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread