VDI and memory, yours!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I'm jumping the gun here since I don't have the metal detector I bought and which should be arriving next week and it's still winter in NYC, with snow falling as I type this. It's a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. I selected that model because of the numerical readout from 0-199. "Normal" detectors are restricted in identification of target with preset icons and although the 3300 also has a limited number of icons the VDI seems to be an advantage in identifying past the icons. I know that there are quite a few models with VDI but the 3300 seems to be the lowest priced or at least I got it for what seems to be a low price, $132 plus $23 s&h.

So my questions to you guys/gals with a VDI detector:
What is your detector and how high in numbers does it go up to?
How much did your detector cost?
Is this feature a real improvement over just plain, ol' icons (iron, foil, pulltab, screwcap, 1 cent, etc.)? Has it been useful when you've gotten the same number more than once and the target was always the same for the number?
Have you found it necessary to keep a reference log?
When you get a signal and it indicates a certain icon but you get a different number for that signal than previously for the same icon, what thoughts do you get associated with what you are about to dig for?

Any other info connected with the above or not will be appreciated.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i,ve had 2 3300's, remember the more #s you have the more they jump around, you get a lot of 199s that are old rusted iron, the gb can be a pain to set and the manual doesnt cover that very well, but it is a pretty good machine

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the White's DFX in December and frankly...the VDI just confuses me, as do the icons.

My first detector had a little vdi on it. White's called it an intensity meter, which in reality meant nothing because the tone corresponded to the needle movement.
It was a very good learning tool which helped me rely on tones rather than meters. I still have that detector, a 3000 series coinmaster. Only works in ground disc mode. Something wrong with the disc but it'll still find stuff in fairly neutral ground.

When I bought my 6000di pro, the meter was a little more advanced with calibrations that indicated which coin it could be, pulltab, ring, etc. But again, it was the tone that caught my attention and when I looked at the meter, it was simply a verification of what I "heard". I really loved that machine and still kick myself in the butt for selling it.

I bought a 6000di series 3, which I still have, but I dont think it got the depth the pro series got.

So...with the DFX, being stubborn as I am...I still listen for a good signal. I think that digital VDI helps some, but I dont depend on it. It just jumps around way to much to suit me. I liked the old needle type meters. They just seemed more stable than modern electronics.
I still have a lot of learning to do with the machine but...for me...sounds...particularly the solid sound of a coin, is music to my ears.
Al

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
MXT vdi numbers are from -95 to +94

When you have VDI the icons become worthless info which they pretty much were anyway. Once you learn where the usual coin targets fall on the VDI scale and it's repeatable at the same VDI (no jumping around) then you will be pretty sure what your digging. Now if you are at an old home site or such you will probably be digging everything anyway so the VDI's will mean less.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're the type of hunter that digs everything anyway, then any form of visual ID is not necessary. For the rest of us any added bit of information can be valuable.

I used to be that, but I don't have that luxury any more.

Having a VDI of "Icons" simply gives you more precise information to use in your decision to dig or not. For me hunting conditions always determine how I hunt a site. Just last week I hunted a private front yard that was littered with pull tabs and bottle caps. Because of my VDI I was able to pull some goodies without spending weeks clearing out the trash. I pulled a few nickles thanks entirely on my VDI.

What is your detector and how high in numbers does it go up to?
Whites DFX. VDI numbers range from -95 to +95(191 numbers)

How much did your detector cost?
$825

Is this feature a real improvement over just plain, ol' icons (iron, foil, pulltab, screwcap, 1 cent, etc.)? Has it been useful when you've gotten the same number more than once and the target was always the same for the number?
Without a doubt. When the VDI stays within a few numbers in all directions odds improve greatly that that is what it is. For example nickles. When I get a solid 21 in all directions, 98% of the time it will be a nickle.

Have you found it necessary to keep a reference log?
No. I know what to look for in my VDI.

When you get a signal and it indicates a certain icon but you get a different number for that signal than previously for the same icon, what thoughts do you get associated with what you are about to dig for?
When I first start hunting a yard I get a few samples to use as a guide. If a pull tab reads 23 I avoid them by ignoring those signals. Of course if the location has a high probability of gold or old coins, or the target is deep, then I dig anyway.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Numeric ID is a vast improvement over icons because icons lie. Think about it. There are a billion different small metallic things in the top 12" of soil worldwide and you're supposed to interpret them using eight icons? Can't be done. Numbers at least just relate the relative conductivity so you can use it as part of your interpreting of targets. Along with audio and lifting/rotating sweep angles, etc. to work a target.

Mine reads up to 99 and here's my ongoing effort to map it. I keep a log book of finds (and depths, settings, etc.)

Attachments

• TID.gif
    TID.gif
    52.8 KB · Views: 367
  • TID.gif
    TID.gif
    52.8 KB · Views: 326
OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Numeric ID is a vast improvement over icons because icons lie. Think about it. There are a billion different small metallic things in the top 12" of soil worldwide and you're supposed to interpret them using eight icons? Can't be done. Numbers at least just relate the relative conductivity so you can use it as part of your interpreting of targets. Along with audio and lifting/rotating sweep angles, etc. to work a target.

Mine reads up to 99 and here's my ongoing effort to map it. I keep a log book of finds (and depths, settings, etc.)
Charlie, that's a very impressive chart. I can just imagine what mine will look like with up to 199 numbers! Thank you and all you responders, I appreciate it. I'm going to take a microcassette recorder with me when I visit the local park(s) and just dictate the number, what came out of the ground and at what depth. Taking the time to write the info down in the field would take too much precious detecting time.

Silver Fox

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
My hats off to those that dig everything . I have to get up off my knees every once in a while . I mainly
coinshoot & rely mostly on tone . If I get a good signal I'll raise the coil to determine if it's a large target or
coin size target . Coins on edge , slanted or laying flat all mess with the detectors electronics .

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
WV Hillbilly said:
My hats off to those that dig everything . I have to get up off my knees every once in a while . I mainly
coinshoot & rely mostly on tone . If I get a good signal I'll raise the coil to determine if it's a large target or
coin size target . Coins on edge , slanted or laying flat all mess with the detectors electronics .
I'm one of those that has to dig everything as one never knows what's in the ground. Until we get a detector that shows a graphic image of the target with good resolution no matter how sophisticated the detector is it still will only give an approximate guess. We all know that no matter how many screwcaps and pull tabs and all kinds of garbage the next similar signal is that gold item that will make you grin and, usually, talk to yourself about your good fortune.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've said that for years. Lets say for argument there are 1 million different small metallic objects in the ground (bolts, bullets, bottlecaps to brass belt buckles) and eight icons on the detector. That means it's wrong, on average, 99.99992% of the time. ;)

Well, no, because it is calibrated and based on conductivity of a small, round object within a foot of the coil. It may be 100% correct on silver 50¢ pieces. But when you get an overlap where trash and treasure are similar in conductivity, as in gold rings and aluminum pulltabs or $5 gold pieces and aluminum screw caps, you risk loss by not digging.

But when you get into a spot that has 10,000 pulltabs to every gold ring it may be a reasonable trade-off. Some days I feel like digging coins and some days I'm up for digging everything. Knowing you can go 20 coins in a row is kind of fun.

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre
"But when you get into a spot that has 10,000 pulltabs to every gold ring it may be a reasonable trade-off. Some days I feel like digging coins and some days I'm up for digging everything. Knowing you can go 20 coins in a row is kind of fun."

I couldn't agree more ;D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto on being impressed with the chart Charlie. The numbers may be different but the application would work with any detector by just applying the vdi numbers that correspond to yours.

And I too am sometimes dig all, sometimes cherry pick.
Al

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I don't use icons I have turned them off, I do use the VDI numbers because usually I don't dig everything.(I know I should) but I would never get out of a spot because everywhere I hunt is very trashy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread