Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never struck it rich by the monetary standards of this world. I'm more into the historical aspect of metal detecting. The bad thing is, if I ever did stumble onto a Wells Fargo box full of gold coins, I probably would just set it here on the floor and look at it all the time. Oh well, the kids and grand-kids would probably have a good time with it after I'm gone.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
whomeiam said:
Charlie P. (NY) said:
If I admitted to it I'd have to pay Uncle Sam 30% of it or more.

Nope. Ain't found nuttin. :D
Hi There All whomeiam here in south east Texas .
Is there anyone here in south Texas that Has ever found the " Rock Pens " ?
I Think I have Not Sure Yet . If it is , Then it's is a mother load . Going on a fact finding run this week end . I am New to this forum . So be with on this one , I will be using a $ 99. Radio Shack ,
and hope !

welome whomeiam, i wouldnt worry about a $99 detector, that much silver
not that far down a pinpointer, could prob pick it up
be carefull, luck to ya, HH

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired from the Army (service-connected disability) almost 25 years ago, then took early retirement from my cop job in January of this year at 48 years old and moved from MO to FL. The things I've found treasure hunting helped me (and my college degree in History has actually come in handy) to be able to retire comfortably before 50 (second time's a charm), but I would have done it anyway.............. so the answer is, "sort of".
Unless you're really, really lucky, the type of find that can "put you on Easy Street" requires the kind of research you can only do if you DON'T have a regular job. Unless, of course, your "regular job" is researching treasures......... :laughing7:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
found 1.5 million once. only problem, forgot here i reburied it. if uncle comes for me,no worry, i am originator of liars club. he-he

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Ever struck it rich?

Yep, but whom would believe it? :o ::) :laughing9: :tongue3: Ended up losing it via court, <even with state government fighting on our side> which was a costly lesson to learn but one I won't forget. No metal detector was involved, didn't need it.

There are a few members of T-net whom have found fortunes and famous lost mines, but they generally are reluctant to talk about it. <My amigo and partner Real de Tayopa comes to mind.> :icon_thumleft:

The fact that a handful of treasure hunters DO "strike it rich" ought to encourage the rest of us, for IT DOES HAPPEN.
hw-mh-prospectors-front-page.jpg

<"Struck it rich" Black Hills prospectors on cover of Harpers Weekly>

A geologist once estimated that only one in 10,000 prospectors (or treasure hunters I would add) ever "strikes it rich" but even so, this is far better odds than any lottery, and you can "tilt the odds" in your favor through diligent research, careful searches and putting in the extra time.
Oroblanco
:coffee: :coffee2:

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I think we all have hope and it does happen- I would like to point out something that may contribute to the mystery of the forum: It is sad that there are people on this site who all share the same interest but can't talk about it because others are "nay sayers". I bet if they found something worth millions they wouldn't just set it down and admire it. I'm new and already got questioned. So who would admit it if they did find something? I didn't find much but I was so excited I found SOMETHING so I wrote about it. Then comes along a debbie downer and asked an asinine question. If we don't find this stuff who will? I'm more than willing to find the laws/regulations/blah but frankly its a little hard to find all the specifics. I love this hobby and don't even own a metal detector! I still have hope (and possible increase in finances for that metal detector)- and I know I have a lot to learn- But all ye debbie downers be gone! If you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all! If there is another website that is more user-friendly please let me know because I personally love this one and always find the answers I need- Most everyone is extremely helpful and pleasant. Thanks to the positive individuals who keep me coming back:)

and thats my 2 cents....

LaKASkill

Jun 2, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My 12 Year old daughter found a Clad dime and a hunk of metal the size of a quarter yesterday in my parents yard. You would have thought she found a never ending pile of gold. It was the first things she found without me standing over her shoulder and she felt like she conquered the world. Those treasures are priceless and I was rich with pride and her happiness for that moment.

ButterNoodle

Mar 4, 2008
Charles Garrett wrote a bundle of books on treasure hunting, with lots of pics of him out in the field. Yet I've always wondered how successful a treasure FINDER he has actually been. He's gotten bank selling us detectors and supplies...I just wonder which has been more lucrative for him.
The great thing about treasure hunting -- today could be the day -- for anyone of us; so long as we show up. :icon_pirat:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real money in treasure lies in writing about it. That's where the real gold lies. The best payin type of writing appears to be ransom notes, if successful.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
RGINN wrote
The real money in treasure lies in writing about it.

Are you sure about this? The treasure magazines don't pay remarkably well, (2 cents to 5 cents per word) one of the leading mining magazines pays NOTHING for articles submitted, and this is only if the publisher even wants it. Many of the treasure books have not sold that well either - a publishing run of 5000 for many, and the author gets perhaps $500 up front and 5 percent in royalties, you do the math - and again this is only if the author can find ANY publisher willing to buy his or her work. Most treasure books written are never published for the author simply could not find a publisher whom would buy it for any price. I could name a number of treasure authors who never "got rich" from their published works including some of the most famous like Barry Storm, were very far from wealthy. Treasure books simply do not make the Best Sellers List. Quite a few treasure books were published BY the authors, at their own expense! :o

Let us look at this from another angle. Do you think Mel Fisher made more money from books, than he made from finding the Atocha?

For anyone whom disagrees with me or simply disbelieves on this issue, I invite you to TRY IT. Maybe you will be lucky and can prove me wrong?

The ransom notes are quite another thing, it is one of those types of business with a "particle of risk" involved, but this fact is present in almost any business venture. The trick is in getting away with it! ;D

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek. :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a cousin who died but he invested in Mel Fisher when he first started, He made a million when they found the Atocha. He donated it all to musuems for tax write offs except some coins for friends and family. Go figure guess he did not need the $. So yeah here is a guy that made some money off of treasure.
HH
TnMtns

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
I have, I found something that is only rumored to exist. It is in a safe deposit box at the bank and will only be assessed with an attorney present. Uncle Sam will only be involved to a limited extent when I do decide to do something with it. It has been in the box since 1998. I'm sorry for the tease, but I will never reveal it publicly. Good things can happen when you detect!!!

Rich

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Rich in Texas said:
I have, I found something that is only rumored to exist. It is in a safe deposit box at the bank and will only be assessed with an attorney present. Uncle Sam will only be involved to a limited extent when I do decide to do something with it. It has been in the box since 1998. I'm sorry for the tease, but I will never reveal it publicly. Good things can happen when you detect!!!

Rich
Well, if you aren't planning on hiding it from the government, then why can't you say what it is here? Moreover, why bring it up at all?

painless

Mar 2, 2009
Central TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 - Teknetics Delta
ButterNoodle said:
Charles Garrett wrote a bundle of books on treasure hunting, with lots of pics of him out in the field. Yet I've always wondered how successful a treasure FINDER he has actually been. He's gotten bank selling us detectors and supplies...I just wonder which has been more lucrative for him.
The great thing about treasure hunting -- today could be the day -- for anyone of us; so long as we show up. :icon_pirat:

If you can believe the placards in his "museum" in Richardson, TX, he has found quite a lot.
If you are ever in the area, you should stop by. Friendliest folks in Texas, and an interesting 1 or 2 hours looking around.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I found a pull tab once that I personally value at over $5 million. As soon as I sell it to an unsuspecting buyer, I'll let you guys know :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread