Can certain rocks make a metal detector go off??????

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, raw iron clumps can do it. There is also lodestone, which is naturally occuring and usually magnetic. You can also find what are called hot rocks, which are rocks that have veins of different metalic material within them.

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
yea they can, I run into them every now and then. Other than that I couldn't tell you why I've always called them "hotrocks"

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee
Maryland Ace said:
I just got a metal detector. Found two rocks, I guess, today. I was just curious if a type of rock can set off a metal detector or if it is something else..... The one rock thing is very heavy for its size, and the other is very , very , light. Just wondering what the heck the are, if they aren't rocks. thanks
may have came from the sky/space!!!!....I once caught a rock while cat fishing..''really'' thought i had a record fish.. :-\

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hot Rocks. . . . . I don't like them >:(

semi precious rocks. . . . .I love them ;D

HH

PTP

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Yes... hot rocks, meteorites, iron slags from railroad tracks.LEAD!!!!!
RD

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Hot Rocks" are often the mineral magnetite, and there are other ores that occur naturally that will set off a detector.

Everything manufactured of metal you see in the world, from BBs to Battleships, came from some ore in the ground. Ain't too uncommon.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
With all this info, I say ditto and for sure check out what BillyBob said ,
those meteorites are worth a lot, you might want to take a little magnet with you.
Gnewt

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Have pics I can tell you if they are meteorites.
RD

OP
OP
M

Maryland Ace

Feb 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Here are the pics. you requested...............

Attachments

• 100_1567.JPG
    100_1567.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 4,379

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
It is not a meteorite, hot rock.
if you ever want to post more pics just resize it to 250 ;)
RD

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
theres an old old site around here that is almost impossible to hunt because the rocks (that are literally everywhere) ring in like a silver coin. it drives you nuts!

OP
OP
M

Maryland Ace

Feb 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Ok cool , I didnt think they were anything special , just wanted to check. Being new to the game and all , just curious............thanks for all the input.........

ilovemycows

May 26, 2013
Joshua, Texas
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Garret Ace 250 (my son's), Garrett Pro Pointer(s)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I found several of these recently. We kept getting a high signal like a quarter only to get a rock! We started calling them Magic Rocks. The guy tht sells detectors near us told us tht they were called Hot Rocks.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Any rock with a metallic content will set it off. I have rocks with an iron content on my farm that will detect. Some rocks with a blue gray cast might contain bauxite which is the raw form of aluminum and will set it off. I was working with some archeologist on items pumped up on shore while dredging a channel and the bricks sounded off. They must have been brought over as ballast and then used for construction in an old De. settlement. European bricks sometimes contained bauxite. Some mineral salts will trigger VLF detectors. Here's a good one. In an area near the Salton Sea (Niland, Cal)called the Slabs, I kept getting hits from rocks but when I picked them up and wiped them off, they no longer triggered my detector. They were coated with gold dust washed down from the Chocolate Mts. I wiped off a lot of rocks in a big zip lock bag that week. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ran across a bunch of these "rocks" at Slaughter Beach Delaware.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The one you said was heavy for it's size is intriguing. You might want to check the TN forum "Meteorites" there is information on helping ID them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread