what brand of headset do you use? Or without headset?

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Hello - I just curious and see what brand of headset do you use with the metal detector? Do you wear the headset all the time or prefer without headset?

Sometime, I use the Dick Clark headset, which use it for the plane. But, in late spring or summer, the weather will be little hot and I rather not use the headset as wet from my hair as hot temperture while I hunt the field.

Richard

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used all types of headphones but I am hooked on the Gray Ghost. Seems to fit me better than the others.

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
Richard First let me say welcome. There are a lot of good headphones out there you will probably miss a lot signals if you don't use them. the higher the ohm rating the better.whites sells a good pair for about 100.00 They are 100 ohms.( not waterproof) Also you could where a hat, bandanna or get your hear cut . Hope this helps.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
I use the Grey Ghost Deep Woods headphones. I wear them all the time unless someone wants to hear the beeps.
HH,
Donny

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I have a set of detector pro's and like them a lot they really silence the outside noise infact it's hard to hear anybody talk when I wear them. Cost me about a hundred bucks.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always detect with headphones - my favorites are Gray Ghost Nugget Busters.
HH
Bill

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
last year I retired an old pair of koss/white's.I use a ratphone but they are hot on me in summer.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i use the Koss phones that came with my explorer. they get the job done.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grey Ghost and Killer Bee Wasp's here! They are both really nice phones and recommend either one.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I use grey ghost ultimates , my wife uses killer bees , I have a set of wireless phones , designed for
metal detectors on the way & a set of black widows on the way . I like the grey ghosts & the wife
likes the killer bees . Obviously , I haven't used the wireless or the black widows yet . I think any
headphones with the full ear cups will be hot on a hot summers day . I have a cheap set that came
with a detector I purchased , that doesn't cover your ears but the quality of the audio isn't good .
I always use headphones while detecting .

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I use a set of Superphones 2100 by Detector Electronics Corp. I don't think their available anymore but I can give you a tip on what to look for.
Over or on the ear is a personal choice as well the fit. When it comes to performance a couple of things to keep in mind are:

If your not going to spend the $100+ for a good "active electronics" type then make sure the impedance of the phones match as closely as possible to the output impedance of your detector. This info is in the specs section of the owners manual.

If you buy a good set, highly recommended, do some research and get a set that not only limit the strong audio signal from your detector to protect your hearing on big targets, but also "processes" the audio on the small signals as well. Most battery powered phones just amplify everything equally and limit the high blasts from the detector. Good phones analyze the threshold and "extra amplify" the small, just over the threshold, changes as well as limit the huge blasts. Believe me this is a huge advantage for finding the deep stuff. Look for ones that have "signal processing".

I'm sure some current models do this, but I haven't look around in years.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Detector Pro "Jolly Rogers". They aren't as fancy as their higher-end products, but the price is right and the do a great job for me.

-SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread