Metal Detecting in an old cemetery. Legal or not Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
"I had a local police officer tell me "NO" period. I know a few cemeterys that will be promising and are sorta off the forbidden path if you know what I mean, I may not get caught, but is it worth it?"

"I may not get caught"

Sounds like you hunt wherever you want; permission
or not.

Hey, Archie. Aren't you the guy that "TV Producer" was considering for his "Treasure Show"??

Maybe you should do a show on Cemetary Digging.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Legal or illegal is not the question. With me and most of the folks here it is a question of ethics, morals, karma etc. and most of us would not detect in a cemetary. In addition to not being good from an ethics/morals/karma standpoint, it also makes the hobby look extremely bad. Just my 2 cents.

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2, Garrett GTAx400, Garrett Pro-Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go for it! Just fill the holes, obviously. Dead is dead, and what does it matter if you recover something from the ground near a body? They sure as hell aren't using it. And as far as moral concerns; that's all up to the religious nut who is too scared of ghosts or "God" to hunt a profitable site.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well if a local police officer said "NO" *--- then Ii would say that answers your question --since he /she will be the one arresting you , if they get a report of you doing it or see you doing it in person AFTER they told you "NO" directly to your face.

and even if it's somehow legal to do it -- in most places its not *-- its still veiwed by most as highly disrespectful to the dead to hunt a "known" graveyard area --and it is thought of as "poor form" in general by just about all detectorist --also non metal detecting folks who see you with a detector in a graveyard area might think your a "grave robbing ghoul"--just the sort of rep - metal detectorist in general do not need,

husbands or wives of the dead person --might shallowly bury their wedding bands on thier loved ones gravesites * as a token of their love for the departed -- and if thats what your after may god have pity upon your soul for your lust of gold to that degree ( sheer greed of a unholy nature )

Last edited:

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shinerod, if that's how you feel, I suggest you find another hobby. Metal detecting has a code of ethics and along with it is moral respect.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
archaeologist * a degreed legally allowed "graverobber" by profession --nuff said

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shinrod, last post on this thread was over 4 years ago when you replied, not sure why you would respond to it like it was just posted, this is a very touchy topic just locked another thread on the same subject 2 weeks ago.

Gandycreek

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Blue & Gray Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next American Diggers Show- Diggin' in a cemetary !!

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shinerod, if that's how you feel, I suggest you find another hobby. Metal detecting has a code of ethics and along with it is moral respect.
Thanks for the suggestion. Here's one for you...grow up and stop believing that the invisible man in the sky will punish you for hunting a cemetery. I do not desecrate graves. In fact, I always leave with a pouch full of trash that the truly disrespectful folks leave around. It's not as if I dig bodies up and dance with the bones...Jesus.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Go for it! Just fill the holes, obviously. Dead is dead, and what does it matter if you recover something from the ground near a body? They sure as hell aren't using it. And as far as moral concerns; that's all up to the religious nut who is too scared of ghosts or "God" to hunt a profitable site.

since your morals are lacking,how does criminal trespassing sound,that land still belongs to the
descendants of those buried there,there are 2 fam graveyards,up the mt not far from the old fam
homestead,that is now a national park
but the graveyards that date back to 1822,and the homestead are ours,unless we sell,which i dont see happening
i spent many wonderful summers here,ive emailed and told them its not abandoned,several times,
status still has not changed,my cuz is working on it
Image:Abandoned home near Thayer, WV.jpg - West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia

sorry had to edit had the wrong quote,and fix link

Last edited:

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shinrod, last post on this thread was over 4 years ago when you replied, not sure why you would respond to it like it was just posted, this is a very touchy topic just locked another thread on the same subject 2 weeks ago.

Whatever. I'm not superstitious, nor do I follow some lame, made up "code of ethics." I have my own ethics, and if they don't suit you, then don't hunt graveyards.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you quoted the wrong person.

Dont let the topic get heated or we will have to lock it like the last one..

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
since your morals are lacking,how does criminal trespassing sound,that land still belongs to the
descendants of those buried there,there are 2 fam graveyards,up the mt not far from the old fam
homestead,that is now a national park
but the graveyards that date back to 1822,and the homestead are ours,unless we sell,which i dont see happening
i spent many wonderful summers here,ive emailed and told them its not abandoned,several times,
status still has not changed,my cuz is working on it
Image:Abandoned home near Thayer, WV.jpg - West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia

sorry had to edit had the wrong quote,and fix link

It's interesting do deem someone devoid of ethics without ever having met them. You must be a genius.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is locked....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions