What kind of MDer should I buy?

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
i have an xlt and love it!! although i think the mxt is a little better on gold and jewelry. whites customer service is impossible to beat! if i had to do it over i would go mxt... my 2 cents

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Randy, there are so many great Md's in that price range. The type of hunting you wish to do would play a big part in the machine that is right for you. Other than a price range you haven't given enough info for anyone to offer suggestions.
I used the BH 505 and for the money it is not a bad machine at all. I personally like Whites MXT. I suggest you read Metal Detector Reviews by owners section. Hope this helps.

HH,
Pepper

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Randy
I am in the same situation as you. Less than a grand, but something that will not be outgrown. I have decided on a MXT or X-Terra 70 but have had easier decisions buying a new truck ??? I Might have to flip a random decision generator.
If anything, talk to other MD'ers in your area for suggestions. From what i,ve learned, many machines will react differently to different areas across the country.
For me the deciding factor will be a test drive. Lots of good info here!
Good Luck
Steve

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As mentioned above, a bit more information might be helpful. However, my suggestion is the MXT also. With the accessory coils available it is one of the most versatile machines on the market in my opinion. I have one with most of the extra coils and love it. Very capable machine.
HH
Bill

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
lRandylInlOhiol,

You are getting good advice so far. Take your time, read,ask questions because everybody is different and what appeals to one doesn't necessarily work for another. Stick to the major brands. If you have any questions about the Tesoro's let me know if I can help. Joe

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some machines you can get would be as said:

Whites MXT- (Easy hands on machine, basically plug and play good with Coins, Jewelry, and relics works good on wet sand and beaches. Designed by a famous metal detector designer.)

The Whites XLT- (This machine takes lots of programing and knowledge of metal detecting lots of tinkering and adjustments. Good at finding Coins, Jewelry, relics and more if programed right.)

The CZ-3D- ( This is a good machine designed to find older deeper coins )

X - Terra 70 - ( Don't know about this machine )

Personally I love my MXT and recommend that. Real easy and finds the goodies nice and easy too. You should be happy with any of the above machines.

Keep @ it and HH!!

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Buy a used Tesoro Tejon off Ebay for about $400. If your not happy with that proceed to your higher end Minelabs.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Yep... can't answer that question without asking what is it that you want your MD to do??? :icon_scratch:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All machines mentioned are realy good one and will not let you down. Both Whites and Tesoro are first rate just as the others mentioned, The Tesoro's get my swing vote over the Whites just because I get tired after a while and there light. The tesoro also has a lifetime warranty which gives piece of mind, although as I said before there is no way to go wrong with either, but no matter which you end up with remember to get out there and practice so you can learn the language of the machine, that's where the difference come in.

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro is a great turn on and go whites gives more info on depth and id but costs more as for the best cant say but I will say im sticking with my whites dfx bad to the bone!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was dissapointed going from a multitone bounty hunter to a single tone tesoro. If I were to ever buy another tesoro it would be the golden.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions