prizm 5 vs. prizm 2

certified male

Feb 11, 2008
i wanted to get he 5 first but after reading reviews of each it seems like for the price the 2 is the same machine. i mostly am looking for discrimination and I.D. ability. don't care about notching etc. i also can afford the 2 and get it sooner. so the question... are they really the same basic machine with just more stuff added as you go up the dollar ladder? thanks to all!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking you're right - I recently made a good purchase on Ebay for a basically new Prizm IV, after studying the Prizm line for a while. Personally, I don't see any real advantage in the V over the IV. The II and III are probably fine for the most part, but the little extras bells and whistles on the IV are kind of nice to have, especially if you can make a good deal on one. My two bits.
HH
Bill

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
The serach coil on the V is better and it also has VCO and depth indicator but I'm not sure all of that is worth another $300.

OP
OP
C

certified male

Feb 11, 2008
thanks for the input. this will move my purchase up a few months. i had a basic whites way back in 79 and now even the simpler machines seem so much better and lighter.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the V does have the bigger (not necessarily better) coil which is good for a bit more depth, but worse for trashy parks etc. The VCO pinpoint is nice, but not critical in my opinion, the IV does have depth indication, but I've never made the choice to dig or not by the depth indication on any detector that has it. My two bits again.
HH
Bill

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Cert,

I have used my Prizm III for the last year and have found that if I had to do it all over again with the Prizm, I would have gotten the Prizm II. I wanted the depth indicator but depending on the ground your hunting on, it can be off by more than 2 inches. I wouldn't spend the money just for a couple more bells and whistles. Their good detectors but I think a little over priced for what they are.

just my .02 cents

HH

PTP

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd have to agree that the Prizms are a bit over priced, especially trying to compete with the Garrett Ace 250. That's why I was happy to make a good buy on the slightly used IV. Waiting for the snow to melt here, but in air testing and fiddling, I'm impressed at its potential. It compares well with several other detectors I own.
HH
Bill

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, about the (Prizm) I have a prizm 2, and it work great ! I have found alot of (coin) & rings). I an going to buy the M6 detector only because I go mostly to the Beach & some time to the park were they all know my name.. :thumbsup: 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread