Baseball Fields

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Somebody please give me some pointers. When you search a ball field, do you just concentrate on the areas around home plate and the dug out? Thats where I have found more coins, well of coarse the bleachers too. But do any of you hunt the entire field? If so what have you found thats really cool say like in the outfield. Thanks! Shane :icon_scratch:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the best luck on the sidelines. Most of the time this is where people will stand while watching a game, and the players often change their shoes and lay personal belongings. I've also had good luck following a line from the pitcher mound to home plate, and from home plate to first base.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
That would depend on what kind of field it is, or who uses it . If it is used by neighborhoods, its got to be great, I would go for consessions, bleachers, dug outs,
infield positions, fence, parking area then grid off all of it and systematicly go over the outfield next and then the rest. Gnewt

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Usually I imagine people playing there and where would they sit, run, slide and catch a ball.
Any trees for for spectaors to sit from the sun.etc... :icon_pirat:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt the edges, outfeilds, outside the foul lines, under bleachers, near fences where coats get draped and pockets leak and no part of the playing field so I don't get kicked out by the groundskeeper. In fact I was specifically asked to keep off the playing surfaces of the diamonds in "my" local town park . . . so I do.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the team bench areas. Best of all are fields that are very old and no longer being used. But, here in my area the local soccer fields are king for clad.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
I strongly suggest you spend a good portion of your available time in the outfield...Note that this DOES NOT apply to ballfields in Eastern NC. Those in ENC are MINE! :D

Cheers, DR

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,
I had to respond to this. I was a Baseball coach for 15 years. Little League through High School Varsity. We treated the infield grass as hallowed ground.
Please do not dig there. It is probably target poor anyway. Outfield, outside the foul lines and fan areas, fair game!
We had to take care of our own fields and the infield grass was off limits to everyone. Push mowers only, no equipment, period!
If you have ever seen a kid take a bad hop to the choppers, you will understand.

The baseball diamond is a special place to me. Lots of great memories, but a few sad ones too!
HH
Steve

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Hemisteve said:
Hi guys,
I had to respond to this. I was a Baseball coach for 15 years. Little League through High School Varsity. We treated the infield grass as hallowed ground.
Please do not dig there. It is probably target poor anyway. Outfield, outside the foul lines and fan areas, fair game!
We had to take care of our own fields and the infield grass was off limits to everyone. Push mowers only, no equipment, period!
If you have ever seen a kid take a bad hop to the choppers, you will understand.

The baseball diamond is a special place to me. Lots of great memories, but a few sad ones too!
HH
Steve
Noted thanks. :headbang:

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best luck I've had was around 1st, 3rd and homeplate and in the outfield. To many pulltabs and bottlecaps around the bleachers.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Digger said:
I've had the best luck on the sidelines. Most of the time this is where people will stand while watching a game, and the players often change their shoes and lay personal belongings. I've also had good luck following a line from the pitcher mound to home plate, and from home plate to first base.

i agree, the sidelines. i have found several rings in these areas. i think people lose rings when they are warming up swinging a bat in these areas.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have to agree with those who have posted already

I have had the best of luck in the outfields and in and around the bleachers. All those late night softball games where the guys are trying to relive the splender of their youth, trying to dive for those line drives and such, the out field has been "berryy, berry, goot to mee!"

HH

PTP

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Hemisteve...Although I've been told this before by school coaches, it is worth repeating...Duly Noted! :icon_sunny:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 1970s my, then young brother-in-law, eyeballed a diamond engagement ring under the bleachers at a baseball field. That happened at night when the gleam of the center diamond reflected field lights. The next day, he returned and searched the whole area and found the matching wedding ring. He gave the set to his sister (my then wife) and we had a jeweler make her a dinner ring with the stones. The bleachers were the moveable type that can be slid around to clean the area and cut the grass. The complete set held a 3/4 carat center diamond with 2 smaller stones on each side (not chips) and 6 matching stones on the band. On a hot summer afternoon in Louisiana, sweaty hands can throw off a lot of rings. Especially when excited parents are cheering on their kids team.

Whenever I've searched ball diamonds, I look down both foul lines and in the outfield. When outfielders heave those long throws trying to peg out the runners, rings can get thrown also. I've never had good results from the in field and the comments from Hemisteve convinces me to not look there anymore---just in case. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread