How much do you love this TH-ing sport??

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Been detecting only a few months now, but already I love this
Treasure Hunting sport! :thumbsup:

It gets me out into nature.
I've learned about the electronics of the detectors, the history of my town,
the vegetation and geology of my area. I've learned about minerals and
gemstones, weather patterns, birds and trees.

I was thinking the other day, if a nuclear disaster should
destroy our entire world and I came out with my detector intact,
that I would STILL go out detecting, just for the thrill of
uncovering that 1944 dime or whatever. :icon_pirat:

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I think metal detecting would be last on your mind. However, it will go with me as a survival tool.

:wave:

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Vinny, For your information I hate it, it is about like getting hooked on wine.
The weather gets bad and you walk a hole in the floor, Its habit forming.
If the weather don't get better I'll have go to the shrink. You'll love it now,
it will put a spell on you, denial is no cure so be ready. Gnewt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this hobby so much that I think about it all the time. I will watch Kristen on TV do her treasure show an watch the reruns.

As for if the world blows up, I will save my guns to protect my metal detectors. Gosh, think of all the rings you can find on bodies.......... :o

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Sandman, Thought about that, thought I would do a little prospecting for them
gold fillings and teeth. I got my pliers ready. Gnewt

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I think about it all the time. I'm addicted. Right now my husband is getting ready for us to go out to eat dinner. I'd much rather go MD'ing. I haven't got to hunt in two days, I'm going nuts.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Pepper2004 said:
I think about it all the time. I'm addicted. Right now my husband is getting ready for us to go out to eat dinner. I'd much rather go MD'ing. I haven't got to hunt in two days, I'm going nuts.

I feel your pain "are you on that metal detecting place...again?" my ears ring sometimes.
:cussing: But I do put my time in to, biking, movie night. This is the one I hear all the time;
"There goes daddy again... abandoning us again. :tongue3:
:walk:

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I love it. I would do it all the time if I had the time and resources. I love every aspect too - coins, jewelry, relics, neat rocks etc.

HH

- joe

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so addicted its not funny... I just love it..even thou I am still learning my dfx.. I just go into severe withdrawl if I cant go out... ya know your addicted, when your stuck home and hubby has your car, then ya start to look at the front yard...and then ya go, hummmm play time... out the front door and digging up the yard.. although I must admit, I trained my kids friends well, told em, toss your change in the front yard...I will find it... I swear they have been doing it... so when I need a fix..its the front yard...

am still waiting on a super great find, like gold something and more silver coins and would love to find a knock your socks off killer silver bracelet to match the one I got from Mike.. Oh heck I could go on and on..but will stop now... humm dark outside, but I do have that cutesy lil headlamp thingy... off and running... hardy har har...

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
When I get up in the morning I think" where can I hunt today....if I cant hunt,I think what can I research to hunt today". Hahaha. I am a history fan and my house is filled with old books,documents maps . I love to detect and will choose it over any other hobby...I travel no where without the detector and will hunt stop and hunt on a dime.
I have developed my two daughters into hunters and history researchers also and its become a great family pasttime.
I am also very lucky to have found my life partner who I met through metal detecting ........the family who detects together ...stays together...LOL

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium LS Whites GMT Ace 250 Ace 100 Sunray Probe Garrett Probe
I like the fact that you never know what you will find. I live way up in northern Canada, where temperatures get down to -40 and I lots snow/ice/frozen ground. I'm beginning to really hate the long winter "months", cause unlike John from Edmonton, I don't enjoy detecting in the snow & frozen ground. I drive and work in snow, so I get enough of that.
This is March now, just got 2 more inches of snow -18 or so... I'm craving spring/summer again! :icon_sunny: itching to go detecting again, like a drunk who hasn't had a fix in a while! :tard: :icon_scratch:

RHoward

Mar 1, 2008
Martin City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
Just one thing I'm addicted too. From now until 3rd weekend in May that is what I do; the fishing season starts, then 2nd week of July huckleberries get ripe and that goes to Sept. Then archery season starts, 3rd weekend in Oct rifle season opens. First of Nov. trapping season starts. Mid Dec. the ice is thick enough on the lakes to fish through, and then back to 1st of March and MDing. Just one addiction to the next all year long!!! :o

Lil Gyps

Jan 3, 2008
Ozarks
I love detecting! And bottle hunting! I really like old homesteads and old bottle dumps. I think the best part is just being in the woods and along the rivers. I cant wait to start finding arrowheads this summer.

mensite

Mar 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
ace 250
You guys crack me up.But after all the coins i found today i am hooked again.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RHoward said:
Just one thing I'm addicted too. From now until 3rd weekend in May that is what I do; the fishing season starts, then 2nd week of July huckleberries get ripe and that goes to Sept. Then archery season starts, 3rd weekend in Oct rifle season opens. First of Nov. trapping season starts. Mid Dec. the ice is thick enough on the lakes to fish through, and then back to 1st of March and MDing. Just one addiction to the next all year long!!! :o

A man after my own heart. I don't fish as much as I used to but the archery, rifle and trapping take up a bunch of time. I've only been into this 'sport' for 3 months, but I'm addicted. I run my own business and make a good living, but find a penny or dime and I'm like a kid again. Weird ain't it?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of my detecting is done on my lunch hours at a town park two stone throws from work.

It SURE beats the before and after.

Occasionally I bop out to an odd site on weekends in hopes of a large cent or old silver. I sure love it when I get results . . . but some days I don't catch a thing. On those days I regret dirt fishing instead of trout fishing . . . where I also usually don't catch a thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread