The Hidden Hoard Of My father

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . chaotic there were 1000's of magazines and some had fallen and squirrels nested in them. an old 200 year painting had half the frame chewed up. so sad such nice things and then never cared for them.

My God. Maybe we're related.

I went to visit Mom sometime after Dad had passed away and there were little scraps of paper all over the front lawn. I picked one up and it was from an Uncle Wiggly book! Looking around I could see a hole in the eves and paper bunched up there. I went up into the attic and saw squirrels had been nesting there. So, down into the (damp) cellar to find a hammer, nails and some patching material. I ooched up to the eves on my back from inside . . . and a friggin squirrel rund up my leg, chest and out the hole! Then tries getting back in as another one shoots along me.

My wife was down at the hallway landing (it was a ladder-hatch access) and later said she thought I was fighting a bear. Good to know that a cornered man, on his back and armed with a hammer, can emerge triumphant from mortal combat. Two dead squirrels and, amazingly, no holes put in the bedroom ceiling or roof.

My great aunt was a passable artist and her paintings were out in the garage. Along with a Charlie McCarthy dummy (with the mouth trigger & all), a Victor cabinet phonograph, dozens of antique quilts, old bottles, kerosene and oil lamps, WWI "pickelhaut" helmets, gas masks, etc., etc. And the roof collapsed one winter ruining most (the Victor still works but the laminate is peeled). Dad's father was born in 1879, Dad (an only child) in 1912. Dad's grandfather was in the Civil War (NY 9th Heavy Artillery). That's a long span of accumulated goodies in few generations. We're childless so most of the heirlooms went to my brother & his boys.

And that's why I do so well on the "What is it?" forum. I've handled most of the things folks are trying to ID. :tard:

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
I would also check stairs. In some of the older homes I have visited or worked on the stairs had one or several steps that would lift out. With carpet this could be easy to hide and difficult to detect by someone walking on them.
-e

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Pretty sweet haul! Sounds like you worked for it! Congrats! Unfortunately, everyone in my family is poor so I won't have to go through all of that.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
I'd like to see pics of the fireplace. That must have been incredible the first time you popped it open! :thumbsup:
Keep us posted. Granpop had some money invested in cool stuff!

OP
OP
vikingfury

vikingfury

Greenie
Mar 19, 2008
NC
Detector(s) used
White's -- Coin Master -- (Dad's)
Hey!

I will get them this weekend i will be there and I will send them sunday.

yes hey was a very smart guy maybe to smart for his own good

we had our issues but don't we all

I made him this page on our family website

http://bubbieco.ipower.com//html/grandpa.html

we really miss him at 77 he survived testicular cancer and the loss of an eye

And as healthy as me drinking his mixture that looked like green sludge yuk he gets hits by a car !!!!

thanks guys

Magic Fingers

vikingfury said:
Hey!

I will get them this weekend i will be there and I will send them sunday.

yes hey was a very smart guy maybe to smart for his own good

we had our issues but don't we all

I made him this page on our family website

http://bubbieco.ipower.com//html/grandpa.html

we really miss him at 77 he survived testicular cancer and the loss of an eye

And as healthy as me drinking his mixture that looked like green sludge yuk he gets hits by a car !!!!

thanks guys

wow...I was bawling reading your website...thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about your dad. What a great place for a group hunt. It's possible, if you can find some people that you can trust and you keep the group really small.

OP
OP
vikingfury

vikingfury

Greenie
Mar 19, 2008
NC
Detector(s) used
Hey, Magic Fingers

No problem.. I really can not read it anymore it makes me ball..

but the family really like to look at it every now and then.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice tribute....pictures and memories are a treasure unto themselves.
Al

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
That's a real nice tribute to your Dad! I believe what you say about too smart. He seemed like a man of many talents. Great job on the site!

T

trish76642

Real sorry about your Dad :(

Make sure you check in the corner of the closets, someone on here, dont remember who, maybe he will see your post, but his uncle died and he had pulled the carpet back from the 'corner' of the closet and found a trap door. Also i might add, there was an older couple here in my town, the lady never threw away a book or magazine, the house was full of them! You couldnt even walk through it! Eventually the house caught on fire, she died of smoke inhalation, i cant tell you how many of those books and magazines had money stashed inside of them! You should check all of those too! I really dont think its gonna be very easy until you get rid of all that stuff he has collected over the years, but you need to make sure you go through everything! Best of luck to ya....so sorry for your loss.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
VF,

I have been following this thread and haven't heard anyone mention to check the doors.
Sometimes these old guys would use hollowcore doors as a private stash.
They would cut a small hole in the top of the door where it would be unseen and drop coins and valuables into the empty door to hide them.

This will give you another place to look anyway.

I am very sorry to hear about your father. But I am glad you are finding some of what he left for you.
I hope the rest of your family lets you keep the fruits of your labor.
You have earned what you found.

Thom

OP
OP
vikingfury

vikingfury

Greenie
Mar 19, 2008
NC
Detector(s) used
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the help and support it gets better everyday.

great site, great people....

Marc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread