box on the pole

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
History of Box-Making in Poland

The making of decorated wooden boxes has deep historical roots in southern Poland. Farmers and shepherds settled the Tatra region of the Carpathian mountains, a region called Podhale, toward the end of the first millennium AD. During the long winter months, as their fields lay under cover of snow, farmers spent their free time working wood. Every member of the family participated in decoration. The first products of this community were objects of everyday use: wooden houses, furniture, coat hangers, spoons, and large chests to store clothes and bedding. The oldest tradition preserved the white color of wood, ornamented with small carved triangles, circles, lines, mountain flowers and rosettes. Colored stains, originally brown and green, added a new dimension to the designs. Surface preservation techniques such as waxing and oiling were developed in local workshops.

Wooden objects were bartered between local families, and in the course of time some artists achieved prominence, earning them nicknames that were recorded for posterity. The most popular artisans specialized in carving wooden figures of Jesus, the Virgin Mary and saints. These figures were used to protect fields, roads and houses. A visitor to the Polish countryside can still find them today.

Ornamented dowry chests were another popular product of this tradition. A bride's dowry consisted of a variety of household objects given to her along with a large wooden chest decorated with traditional symbols of love and prosperity - birds, flowers and hearts. After marriage, families used these chests to hold their most precious belongings - money, jewelry, and important papers. A metal lock or secret opening mechanism was often added to protect the contents from children and strangers.

:-\

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D,thank sherm,but this box was up maybe 25 feet in the woods on a metal pole.............funny tho

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the original post was way back late oct,guess he never got up there

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this post today once it was relocated.
A very interesting post.
I'm thinking its scientific
Very odd that the local law enforcement agency wouldn't investigate it.
Possible radar detector of sorts to detect movement, or a camera that covers the area?
I don't buy the bird house theory
Bradyboy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i say pot growing
no one looks up to look for pot in the trees and the canopy hides it a tad better :icon_pirat:

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Ahhh yes the ole boxing thread, I remember it well. Polls boxing, seems to me a german boxing a pole might be slightly more entertaining but oh well.
:icon_scratch: :BangHead: :nono: :angry7: :coffee: :munky2: :violent1: :evil6: :tongue3:

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Perhaps this is a different type of time capsule that was devised so as not to forget where it was left.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aaahhhh,the times helga and i shared,she was as strong as a bull and i was tall and lankey...she took me out in the first round :-[,one of the best nites of my life :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread