Improving Your Chances To Not Damage Coins

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I post this helpful hint in General Discussion for its wide audience and because I looked for and didn't find a How-To forum although it might still be moved by a Mod.

I mentioned in another Forum about how I stopped damaging coins using a homemade fiberglass probe which also allows me either not make a hole or if I have make a hole it will be about the same size as the target when it's a coin, medal, etc., and it triggered this request: "Can I get some details on that technique? What kind of pinpointer do you use, must be sturdy? I'd sure like to be able to retrieve targets as shallow as 2" without digging. Thanks in advance for the tips." I answered him with the following but thought you all might also be interested. No digs (pun) at anyone here were intended.

Look at the photo which is worth a thousand words, fiberglass fishing pole probes in various states from new to used. Get a solid fiberglass fishing pole and remove all of the hardware. Get some rasp-type thick wood handles. Add white glue.

Cut the fishing pole into sections approx. 12" in length. If the thinnest part is too flexible discard it. You want a section that cannot be bent. Thin the thickest (or upper) part of the section so that it will eventually fit into the handle's hole all the way or most of the way (you don't want it detaching in the field). Fill the handle hole almost all of the way with the white glue. When you insert the section into the hole glue will squish out, just wipe the excess (don't hold the handle upside down so that the glue leaks out before you insert the section). Stand it on the handle somewhere out of the way to let the glue dry. Takes about a day or two. When the section is solidly in the handle and your efforts to pull it out fail, you're ready for the next step. That's rounding the flat tip so that it becomes easy to insert the probe into the earth.

That's it, and now you don't have to worry about damaging mostly coins when you probe to touch whatever triggered your detector. If it's a ring your probe might go through the center so a probe is effective with solid targets such as coins, medals, etc. Once your probe has touched the object find its edges and then you don't have to make a big hole to retrieve it. And doing so gives you more hunting time. Very few use a probe and since they don't know how big it is they wind up making a crater to retrieve a clad cent! >:( Using a probe is ecological! :thumbsup:

Silver Fox

Attachments

• Probes.JPG
    Probes.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Probes.JPG
    Probes.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 159

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I use a 10 inch flat screwdriver that has brass brazed on to the tip, Wont damage the coin and I can pop them out at the same time

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
The problem around here is the soil content. There is alot of "chunk rock" mixed in with the black dirt. I can never tell the difference between a rock and the item I'm diggin. I also use a screwdriver and have yet to damage a coin. It will happen I'm sure but I haven't found a better technique.

I do like the idea of the probe if the soil was clean.

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I understand soil concerns and why my fiberglass probes may not be the panacea I make them sound like. But in city parks it is the perfect panacea. Frankly, I've never found myself in an area where my probes failed. I've detected in L.A., and all over California; in various Florida areas; upstate New York. So I do feel for you guys/gals that find yourself in difficult soil areas and there one must use the best tools to achieve the desired end. I did carry the 3-in-1 knife digger but never used it.

SF

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Can a Mod please jump in here and tell me why my photo disappeared from the post? This happened once before. I'll upload it again.

Silver Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread