problem with dfx shutting off itself today ?????

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out detecting today... I was using the dfx, never had this problem ..first off..I made sure the batteries were ok... I was hunting for about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. after about an hour..all the sudden, the dfx shuts off... first I thought I musta hit the off button... turned it back on... and was hunting again..well this happened like 10 times.. finally I sat down, unplugged the cord to my coil... ( was using the 5.3 eclipse like I always do) check that.all ok... then I checked the batteries again, even took em out to make sure all was ok.. turned the machine on again...hunting along and dang if it didnt do it again.. now is this something common with this coil... I am gonna try the standard coil that came with it to see if it still does this.. Like I said, this was the first time this has ever happened.. so I am clueless here.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the coil if the Power is Shuting off

Check & Clean your Battery Connections
Make sure they are getting Continuous Contact.

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008
this has happened to mine,was told its something to do with the connections inside the box where the battery pack slots into check the metal prongs have not compressed , you might have to pull out a bit,but see what others say.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Bunny Bay, On another forum that concerns the DFX there was a thread and it dealt with the battery box and the contacts as Jeff has said. Make sure there is no dirt or debris in the battery box. Another person had a loose wire that went to the battery box.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I would go a different route...it could be the battery contacts...but try an area completely free of all electrical interference and large metal objects in the ground. I have an area between power polls that this happens with the dfx.... Also I jumped down into a dried out river area last year and it kept happening... I would guess massive interference! The dfx and emi...not a strong point for this detector which I have mentioned in the past....But check your battery connections...by removing and putting battery back in you should have rebooted the memory... So I will guess it was the area you were in...so try a clean area...see what happens...

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Is there a time between the shut down? I agree not the coil. And agree with possible battery intermittent short. :'(

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was the first time I was on this football field...thats when it started... but would turn right back on.. and few minutes ago, I checked all cables, all batteries and contacts..alls fine.. looked inside the main box after taking out the battery box...I donot see anything loose not one wire or nothing..so am gonna test run it tomorrow in a different spot an bring the 9.5 coil in case.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
BunnyBay said:
this was the first time I was on this football field...thats when it started... but would turn right back on.. and few minutes ago, I checked all cables, all batteries and contacts..alls fine.. looked inside the main box after taking out the battery box...I donot see anything loose not one wire or nothing..so am gonna test run it tomorrow in a different spot an bring the 9.5 coil in case.

Alot of times trenches are dug...and electrical wiring is under ground around sports fields and other areas for lighting...Do what I said...I used the dfx over 500 hours last year... :wink:

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
If it is not an interrupt of current flow in the power supply system or a on/off switch issue I would say that the microprocessor has detected a critical condition and is haulting the system. I'm sure not to many subsystems would report this condition but I'm sure any oscillator circuits in an unlocked or drifting state would warrent this. This condition could be, as earlier suggested, due to exposure to EMI.

I work within 1000' of two 2 Megawatt radars, both on the air at once. My Whites Spectrum XLT won't stay on for more than a few seconds depending where the antennas are pointed.
My Minelab Sovereign doesn't even know they are on.

Just a scenario to support a previously suggestion culprit.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new with the DFX, but evenstill I've already managed to put a serious amount of time behind it. I've been hunting everyday after work and typically all day on a Saturday or Sunday.

That being said, I have encountered this exact same problem myself. I was real concerned at first and now I just chalk it up as a minor nuisance. The battery contacts may definitely be contributing to the problem, I can't say either way, but I do have to agree with Greg on electrical interference, especially from buried wiring, causing it to shut off.

I experienced this problem a number of times, but on two of those times I had intimate knowledge of the field I was in and I knew within a very close margin of error where some electrical lines where located. Now I didn't deliberately go looking to see if I could trip the machine but that is exactly what had happened when I went over the lines. In fact, in one instance, the sound that rang through the headset just before it shut off made me think the machine had gotten fried. It sounded a little like it had just shorted out. Thankfully, the DFX just turned on without a problem and I went along hunting. I did notice that when this happens the machine reverts back to "COIN MODE" as opposed to whatever the last program you were using was. Meaning if I was hunting in "JOHNS SETTINGS" and I shut off the machine normally, when I turn it on again and scroll through to load a program "JOHNS SETTINGS" will still be checked off. But when the machine shuts itself off and then you turn it back on and go to load a program, the default "COINS" is checked off.

Thanks for this post it helps me to know that this problem/occurrence is happening to others and it gives me the idea about checking the battery connectors and wiring.

Johnny Cache.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
do you ease the battery pack in or do you drop it in.dropping the pack in can bend the contact prongs
forwards,using a non metallic (it would be safer to use something non conductive) hook like object you can
gently and slightly bend back the prongs to the rear.gently and slightly.I assume the dfx has same bat pack
setup as my xlt.I do not know anything about a EMI shutdown(not ruling it out).

good luck and consider calling white's

cable splicer

Mar 24, 2008
I had the same problem. It was caused by inactivity of the pinpointing trigger for one half hour. Just remember to use the trigger ever so often and it stays on. Don't know why whites made them that way cause it's a pain sometime

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Johnny Cache Hunter said:
I'm new with the DFX, but evenstill I've already managed to put a serious amount of time behind it. I've been hunting everyday after work and typically all day on a Saturday or Sunday.

That being said, I have encountered this exact same problem myself. I was real concerned at first and now I just chalk it up as a minor nuisance. The battery contacts may definitely be contributing to the problem, I can't say either way, but I do have to agree with Greg on electrical interference, especially from buried wiring, causing it to shut off.

I experienced this problem a number of times, but on two of those times I had intimate knowledge of the field I was in and I knew within a very close margin of error where some electrical lines where located. Now I didn't deliberately go looking to see if I could trip the machine but that is exactly what had happened when I went over the lines. In fact, in one instance, the sound that rang through the headset just before it shut off made me think the machine had gotten fried. It sounded a little like it had just shorted out. Thankfully, the DFX just turned on without a problem and I went along hunting. I did notice that when this happens the machine reverts back to "COIN MODE" as opposed to whatever the last program you were using was. Meaning if I was hunting in "JOHNS SETTINGS" and I shut off the machine normally, when I turn it on again and scroll through to load a program "JOHNS SETTINGS" will still be checked off. But when the machine shuts itself off and then you turn it back on and go to load a program, the default "COINS" is checked off.
Thanks for this post it helps me to know that this problem/occurrence is happening to others and it gives me the idea about checking the battery connectors and wiring.

Johnny Cache.

Thanks for pointing this out....the emi is a major problem for the dfx and shuts it right down every once in a while. But I did not notice it was also changing the program. Next time my shuts down...I will check and see it mine changes to coin mode. Gregg

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you were right, it did shut down due to the power source at the football field.. and yes, mine also changed programs back to coins.. I took it out yesterday and had no problems at all with it... never shut off at all.phewwwwwwww and thanks all

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had this problem with my DFX(2 years) but I did have it with my old Eagle Spectrum which uses the same type connectors for the battery. What I ended up doing was to put the striker part of a matchbook where the case closes to hold the battery against the contacts. Later I reached in and pulled out on the contact prongs and never had the problem again.

Not saying you should do this with your DFX, only that it sounds like the same problem. And like has been said you can tell because when you turn the detector back on it's at the default Coin program.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Bootybay said:
you were right, it did shut down due to the power source at the football field.. and yes, mine also changed programs back to coins.. I took it out yesterday and had no problems at all with it... never shut off at all.phewwwwwwww and thanks all

Told you Rae...the dfx has problems with emi...The battery problem is different...and would still be happening continuously anywhere.... Glad we were able to help... :) :)

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I had the same problem with my Whites Specturm. I did what Digger did. I used small peice of cloth folded up and placed in the back of my battery compartment to take up the slack. You need a tight fit back there. It never happened again. Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread