UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Seven Spiritual Rules of Success for treasure hunters
By Vince Migliore

There’s a popular saying in America: “What goes around, comes around.” This saying is actually a summary of a deeper spiritual principle taken from the Bible: “With the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Mark 4:24). It is similar to the Eastern concept of karma, which stipulates that the way you treat others is how the world will treat you. Even the Beatles recorded a version of this idea from their Abbey Road album, when they wrote:

”and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

So, how do you make these laws work for you in treasure hunting?

Sending out good things does not mean that you literally plant treasure in the ground for future searchers, although some people on Internet forums are suggesting that. Rather, you can develop a mutually beneficial agreement, a symbiotic relationship with the Earth. For example, a tree needs to have its seeds spread far from its fixed location, so it develops fruit for birds, animals, and humans. The seeds are wrapped in sweetness in order for them to be taken and transported by those who eat the fruit. In other words, if you treat the Earth well by caring for her, she will in turn surrender her coins and relics to you.

So here are some suggestions to make it work for you. You will notice, if you are having any degree of success in treasure hunting, that you are ALREADY doing things right. From my personal experience, though, you can have even better results if you follow the Seven Spiritual Rules of Success for treasure hunters.

1. Take care of the land that you work. Cover the holes, and don’t damage plants, animals, or the little critters that live in the dirt. For extra credit, throw a peach pit or an acorn into the hole before you cover it up.

2. Clean up the garbage as you go. Take a trash bag with you and do a favor for the environment.

3. Return property to its owner if possible. This will generate so much good will, the owner will appreciate treasure hunters in general, and you in particular. This is literally storing up treasure in Heaven.

4. Share the wealth. Did you get permission from the property owner? How about giving him a few of the coins you found? Uncovered a toy in a tot-lot? Why not leave it there for the children to play with?

5. Stop and smell the roses. Enjoy the weather and the animals that you see. Learn to appreciate the trees and plants, earthworms, rocks, and geology.

6. Teach others the joys of treasure hunting. Join a club or instruct young children on how to operate the detector and how to retrieve lost coins.

7. And the best thing you can do to guarantee success in treasure hunting:
Develop an “Attitude of Gratitude.” Take a look at all the riches you have been given. Can you deny the fact that the Earth has been good to you? Then go hunting with an appreciation for your abundance. Have a positive attitude towards your fellow searchers, as opposed to competitive fierceness. Surely there is enough to go around, so show some gratitude.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
UncleVinnys,

a "symbiotic relationship with the Earth."

And,
"the Seven Spiritual Rules of Success for
treasure hunters."

Must be a left coast thing. :wink:

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
UncleVinnys,

a "symbiotic relationship with the Earth."

And,
"the Seven Spiritual Rules of Success for
treasure hunters."

Must be a left coast thing. :wink:

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

Yep! Ya have to consider we're a bunch of tree-hugging, over-the-hill
flower children out here, with residual drug damage, ha, ha!
Now if you'll 'scuse me, I hafta get down to the Berkeley Free Clinic
and get this rash looked at!
in the West! I'ts

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I trample her grass, peer into her recesses with harsh instruments, violate her with cold iron and leave her sore and dispoiled.

But I do cover my holes carefully, pick up trash and otherwise be a good steward for the brief time I am upon her.

Mathew 6:19 - "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

1 Timothy 6:9-10 - "But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

1 Timothy 6:17 - "Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy."

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Very nice quotations. I have always believed that Karma IS a force in the world, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

I am new, but I did not get into this hobby to get rich. If I make enough money to pay for my ACE and maybe a few accessories I will be happy. If by some chance I make enough to one day buy a nice detector (once I have learned how to use my ACE) I will be thrilled. I got into this hobby because my doctor told me to get exercise, but I lose interest in walking because of the overwhelming feeling that I am doing nothing productive. MD lets me get some exercise for my bad discs and my asthma while doing something I enjoy.

I pick up the trash I dig up. I also pick up a lot of trash I see lying around, makes me feel better about digging holes where I am, because it IS causing damage, no matter how careful you are. Doing something nice for the Earth AND the community. Everyone enjoys the land better when there is less trash (well, except for maybe the people doing the littering!). I have an apron with two pouches, one for my finds and one for the trash (which I also go through again when I get home, because there is some interesting stuff there!).

I also take my 4 year old son with me when I go. He enjoys getting out there. Sometimes he plays, and sometimes he helps me, carrying tools and helping me dig deeper in the holes. Great bonding. Today I also had some 7 year old boys come up to me. They were very interested. I went with them and their mom to the monkey bars. I would detect, and when I got that coin ding I would tell them exactly where it was, and they would brush away the wood chips to find the hidden treasure. I let them keep the coins (as long as they were recent). They had lots of fun, and I think they will be wanting to get into the hobby one day!

Whether or not Karma is a real thing, I feel that doing these sorts of things is what is RIGHT. It makes the hobby into something that benefits us all, and it paints us in a better light. In a country (USA) where Archaeologists would rather paint us as criminals instead of allies, public perception can be very important. If legislation is introduced, it can only help if people remember us as thoughtful, kind, helpful people who better the community, instead of thinking of us as greedy people who are rude, isolationist, and who destroy the land where we search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread