1/2 million dollar Merc dime?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
mini coins are made for every coin and are sold as novelties. Maybe they used a phony date to avoid counterfeiting charges. Most patterns which is what the guy is claiming to have are full size but made with various metals to test striking and wearing abilities of the design. Almost always the pattern will only partially resemble the actual eventual coin design. siegfried schlagrule

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those poor details, that coin is likely a mini. If it had any possibility of being genuine, eBay would NOT be the place to sell it. I would want to see authentication papers--and hold someone accountable for it if the coin were fake--and this coin isn't even his. It's a "post for a friend." FISHY!

Just my 2c

-Buckleboy

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I declare Shenanagins! Shenanagins!

Can't fake something that never was. It's a non-coin. They weren't minted that year, they weren't minted that size. The government made no dies that size (dimes,and all coins, are "mandated" by government specifications, approved by Congress and there are good records kept).

Weinman (who had studied under Augustus Saint-Gaudens) won a 1915 competition against two other artists for the design job, and is thought to have modeled his version of Liberty on Elsie Kachel Stevens, wife of noted poet Wallace Stevens The reverse design, a fasces juxtaposed with an olive branch, was intended to symbolize America's readiness for war, combined with its desire for peace. The fasces would later become a symbol of Italian dictator Benito Mussolini's Fascist National Party, leading some to criticize the dime's design

So the design wasn't even accepted or formalized until 1915!

If you're going to do a pattern concept die you make it BIGGER to get the design right. I believe they cast like 10" plaster trials back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosev...ty_Head_.28Mercury.29_.281916.E2.80.931945.29

I'm afraid that for $500K the burden of proof is on the seller. Heck, for $50 the burden would be on him to prove it's a true coin.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4876275

Here's one at auction (upper left - also 1914) expected to sell for $10 to $20.

2011_10_lg.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are alot of Uninformed People out
there.

That's how the Shopping channels and
Magazine Adds pull in Suckers.

MY Guess he's one of the Unimformed
By the way he posted the add
and Actually believes it may be a coin.

I Don't think he would have Priced it so high
IF He were trying to take somone over.

IF He was I'd say he would have started it at $50 or $100

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I sent him the image and link to the auction house so now he knows. I'm sure he'll confir with them correct the ebaY listing shortly. ::)

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
I dug a mini dime a coupla weeks ago...don't remember the date...not a merc...found one like it on the net in top condition for less than $20. Just a novelty like a two-headed coin.

I think somebody's trying to see just how gullible e-bayers are! ::)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BARGuy said:
I think somebody's trying to see just how gullible e-bayers are! ::)

EBayers are only gullible when it comes to Pancakes & Corn flakes
carve a face in to it, you'll make a mint.
:D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I never!

Are you trying to say my coin with God's fingerprints on it is a fake?

I tossed some money in the air to give thanks and told God what stayed in the air was his, and what fell back was mine.

I coulda sworn one coin hovered a second before it fell and...and I'll be darned...there was a fingerprint on it. Had to be God's!

I was just getting ready to auction it on Ebay.
Al

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
funny how on his rateing all his rateings are from buying stuff off ebay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread