Scrap value of pre-1982 pennies?

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I was rolling all the clad I dug up last year so that I could deposit it in my daughters bank account (It's her college fund!) and I got wondering if anyone else has thought about scrapping copper pennies instead of just turning them in for face value? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has considered this. Has anyone done it? What is the value of a copper penny in scrap?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont know what they are worth as scrap metal, but I save all coppers from my pocketchange just like I used to save(still do) all wheatbacks. They will be worth something in the future as they start disappearing. Coins from the 60's seem to be getting scarce.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazingly it is currently $0.0255834!

http://www.coinflation.com/

They must have cheaper electric rates than me or are not using a small electric furnace. :D

Holy Mackrel! Silver Rosies are up to $1.2927 each! I'm gonna be even happier to find them after seeing that. And War nickels are up over a buck now in melt value. Hot dawg! Maybe in 200 years the current dollar coins will even be worth a buck. :wink:

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
That's an interesting link Charlie! Now the question is....Do I turn them in for face value or not? I'm leaning towards "not".

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I tumble them and roll them and deposit my annual clad in my bank IRA account (I never get the battle doing it this way but you do have to sit & wait for a desk teller instead of the window).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread