Looking for Treasures

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure is in the palm of the finder.

I go to town parks, old homesites, current homesites and about any field or woodlot that I can get permission. Preferabbly some spot where a person from the 1800's had an excuse to reach into a pocket or open a purse.

But then I'm not looking for treasure. I'm looking for coins. :wink:

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
If he has been to three sites and found "nothing",not even a modern coin, tell him to read the manual and practise in his own back yard.
Oh, and give you a raise for doing his research for him.

OP
OP
F

furnituredude

Mar 31, 2008
Radarwill,
Thank you for your reply.
My husband and I told him we would bury treasure in our back yard for testing, but alas he isn't interested in anything he can't keep.
I appreciate your help and will look forward to anyone else who can help, and on the issue of the raise, well, I've passed along your idea and again been laughed at.
Good hunting to you.
Wendy

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Does he mean "treasure" as in .... purposefully buried jars, boxes, etc....? Or "treasure" as in .... fumble fingers losses of coins, jewelry, etc..? If he means stashed/hidden caches type stuff, he might be better off with a 2-box type detector. And no one will have a "lead" for you. I mean, think of it: If someone knew a likely place a treasure was buried, don't you think they'd have already exploited the lead and searched for it? ::) The only thing a person can do is look for historical accounts on their own, of suspected stashed goods ($$ missing upon a recluses death, etc..) and then go look in those home-sites digging all big signals. Be prepared to dig all types of hubcaps, cast-iron, large junk, etc...

Or if he means "treasure" as in individual coins and jewelry losses, he can go, as Charlie NY says, to any parks, beaches, schools, etc... and try his luck.

OP
OP
F

furnituredude

Mar 31, 2008
No he isn't looking for buried treasure, but coins, jewelry, nuggets, ingots, gold bars, you know, most anything w/ value.
So far he has unearthed a piece of iron and a couple of rocks.
He intends to visit the beach at Santa Monica this weekend as this is where we live.
Maybe he'll find something.
Wendy

S

stefen

Head down to Santa Monica Beach near the pier or any beach in between Santa monica and Zuma...its a start.

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
My personal opinion is this. If he's just looking for treasure $$$ as in wealth? I wouldn't waste my time on him. The treasure "I" seek is in unearthing a tangible part of history that if but for a moment, I am the first in many years to touch. If he just wants to get paid.... tell him to earn it from the sweat of his brow like the rest of us.....

OP
OP
F

furnituredude

Mar 31, 2008
ZenAgain,
While I try to always respect opinions, you're has just angered me, which is something I handle very well.
Treasures and value are in my opinion subjective terms and in our case are simply terms used to describe the excitement my employer feels about his new hobby.
We work extremely hard here, and in the fields looking for "treasures w/ or without value" and while we may not always break a sweat on our brows are very proud of the work we do.
Thank you for replying to my inquiry, and I hope you will have continued success in all you do.
Wendy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions